Looking to "Upgrade" from an old computer. Need Build Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edacity

Beta member
Hi! I'm trying to construct a newer-age computer, using some "older" parts of mine already, such as case/power supply/vga. The current Build im looking at consists of the following:

Case :: Cooler Master RC-730-SSN 1 Praetorian
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Praetorian 730 RC-730-SSN1 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard :: Asus M4N98TD EVO
Newegg.com - ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphics Card :: Nivida Geforce 8800 GTX
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Processor :: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

RAM :: Corsair XMS2 Dominator 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

Heatsink :: ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

Power Source :: Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V 550W
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V 550W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Supply

Operating System :: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit

HDD's, Mouse/Keyboard/Monitor arent too big of a deal, as i use low resolution. If necessary i can list. My problem is that, im not tech. This all looks like a decent setup to me, and seems compatible - but im not 100%. And what im VERY weary about is the power source. I went with a SLI motherboard with am3, as i prefer Asus brand, and AMD Processors (Also have no idea the difference between any of the chipsets, at all). Just prefer asus/amd, not a necessity to have them. Would like more bang for my buck if anyone knows anything better, for any slots/pieces. This computer would mostly be used for online gaming, preferably while watching HD movies and such. And when i say online gaming, i mean multiple instances of the game running at the same time. Any feedback at all, positive or negative, is GREATLY appreciated. :\

Hard drive? Nice case, BTW.

I wouldn't worry about SLI. Putting in another 8800 would be a waste of space with the cost of decent cards nowadays. You can pick up a decent card for $100 that will destroy a 8800. Plus Nvidia is not that great with AMD chipsets anymore; they used to be, but that was then.

I would go with this board:
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Great features for a good price. I have the 785 version and am loving it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom