IBM ThinkPad T40p won't boot. Could it be the HD has failed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
I have this older IBM ThinkPad T40p which is running Windows 7 that suddenly won't boot.
It gets to the point where it says it's "starting windows," and then it just shuts down completely. Then the next time I hit the power button the lights and fans and everything start up, but the screen doesn't come on. I then have to hold the power button for it to do a complete shut down in order to get it to even try and booth again.

I've tried booting from my Win7 DVD, but it does the same thing. Goes to the "starting windows" screen, then shuts down completely. I'm not sure if booting from the DVD still loads info and depends on the HD, but it won't even let me into the Windows Setup from the DVD.

I can however get into the BIOS and the "Access IBM" startup menu (for those who are familiar with IBM/Lenovo computers).

So I think it's the HD, but am not entirely sure. I've never had to troubleshoot a problem like this.
Anybody have any thoughts on what it could be? And I right to think that it's simply a HD failure?
Thanks in advance!
-Sub

At first, I would blame the HDD. Try taking it out, and boot from the Windows 7 DVD. See if you get the same.

If nothing changes, I would then point at the RAM. Run Memtest86+

Thats funny you mention this, I had this same issue at work Friday with Thinkpads. One laptop had the same symptoms, put the drive into another laptop and same thing.

I have actually removed the HD and the same thing happens regardless of whether the HD is in there or not.
I try and boot from the Win7 disc without the HD in and it crashes immediately after the "starting windows" screen.

I've never heard of Memtest86+ but have dl'd it and will give it a shot.

Alright, well I was running Memtest86+, it was about 1/2 way through with no errors when the battery died. :-/

But then I noticed something really weird. If I have it plugged in, it won't start up at all. The fans will come on and everything but the screen stays blank and nothing responds (the dvd drive won't even eject).
But if I unplug it and run off of battery power it'll start with the IBM screen just fine and then try to boot, only to crash after the "starting windows" screen just like it has been.

I guess I've been on battery power for awhile so this is nothing new, I just hadn't noticed, but it's extremely weird none the less.

Is there any explanation for this?

For now I'm going to charge the battery all the way and try and get all the way through the Memtest.
And thanks for all the help so far!

I took the battery out and kept it plugged in, and it does the same thing as if the batter were in. No change.

Might be your PSU then. They do go bad every now and then. Unless you are good about going into your laptop and a soldering gun, I wouldn't try fixing it. If this is still under warranty, send it in to get fixed. If not, I am afraid you have to live with it. Unless anybody else has another opinion.

Sorry to revive this thread after so long. Been a busy last couple of months.

I am comfortable with going into the laptop, as well as using a soldering gun, but I wouldn't really know what to look for concerning the PSU.
Is there a guide somewhere, or anything that can help me know what to look for?
The laptop is already opened up and ready to be fiddled with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom