ramdude

Baseband Member
I wanted to spend around£ 1000 inc vat so - $ 1,545

i could add 6 gb more ram or a second graphics card or upgrade to the 960 -

so 12 gb of ram
a 960 instead of 930
or 2 grphics cards

whichever will get the most power / graphics capability -

Im a graphic designer and im moving into video editing .
Also would it be advisable to buy a pre selected machine cos Im not that knowledgeable on what works best

tell me your knowledge
Cheers

Is this for a computer you already own or are these upgrades for a pre-built computer your wanting to buy?

I don't see you gaining much going from 6GB to 12GB of ram in anything... I mean sure, if you are working on a HUGE HUGE image, but, I don't see the program taking 5+GB of ram....

butt - it can help with a virtuial machine - neh ?

maybeill run a few vurtual boxs with my extra spare 6 gb 3 each that ll do :grin:

any one sele s have a opinion im going on holiday on saturday say bye bye now

Running three virtual machines with 6GB of RAM?

What kind of programs are you running? :stare:

Do you truly understand how HUGE that is?

PS. Upgrade your hard drive to 1TB at the smallest. As well as an external for back-up incase your embedded gets FUBAR for some reason.

If you're spending $1,540 on a computer, actually get your moneys worth!!!

As far as Video Cards go,

Video RAM 640 MB Hardware T&L Yes Pixel Shader version 5.0 Vertex Shader version 5.0

If you can get a Video Card that can meet that, there is no way your digital imaging will go beyond that.

Unless you're getting SUPER HIGH UP Software (like Video Game design top of the line graphics type work)

Than

Video RAM 750 MB Hardware T&L Yes Pixel Shader version 8.0 Vertex Shader version 8.0

You get a Video Card with those specs or greater. Nothing int he computer industry for the next 5 years will be anything close to challenging for your system.

But either case, there is no way you'll be going above 6GB of RAM for anything.

Even Military Issue Computers with BLUEFORCE, TALON, and SIGRAD operations going through them at once, with links through Radio Networks and Image Transitions.

No way your digital imaging, even if it's video will exceed that.

Even the Final Fantasy Movies when they were being created, didn't even exceed 3GB.

I'm sorry, correction, per the Final Fantasy Creators site, Final Fantasy Advent Children, didn't even exceed 1GB.

It wont let me edit my previous post anymore for some reason. (It says I don't have the permission to do it...?)

Anyways, is this the comp your getting? If so, read the bolded words for changes. Get your friggen moneys worth.

OYOtech INTEL FI7EPOWER 930-460 - CUSTOM PC DESKTOP - CM690 CASE / 575W PSU / INTEL I7-930 CPU (OC @ 4.0Ghz) / 6GB MEMORY / 1TB HARD DRIVE / GEFORCE GTX460 - 1GB GRAPHICS / DVD WRITER / ONBOARD SOUND / NO WINDOWS
FULL SYSTEM SPECS
PC CASE - CM690 ATX CASE
POWER SUPPLY - 575W RECOM PSU
MOTHERBOARD - X58 CHIPSET MOTHERBOARD
PROCESSOR - i7-930 QUAD CORE
OVERCLOCKED - OC @ 4.0Ghz
CPU COOLER -FRIO CPU COOLER
MEMORY ONE - 6GB DDR3 - 1333Mhz MEMORY
MEMORY TWO - NONE Heck, why not. May as well get a second, but make it 4GB DDR3 or 2GB DDR3, don't need another 6 IMHO
SOLID STATE DRIVE - 40GB SSD Get a 60GB or higher
HARD DRIVE ONE - 1TB SATAII
HARD DRIVE TWO - NONE Get a second 1TB, whether internal, or external, doesn't matter. Just make sure it's compatible with your motherboard.
OPTICAL DRIVER - DVD REWRITER You want it to be DVD R/RW CD R/RW capable. And Blue Ray as well. If it's not BLUE-RAY, DVD, and CD compatible at all sides, it ain't worth it.
GRAPHICS CARD ONE - GEFORCE GTX460 - 1Gb DDR You can do better than this. read above post of recommended SPECs
GRAPHICS CARD TWO - NONE
GRAPHICS MODE - SINGLE CARD
SOUND - 5.1 CHANNEL Sound Card wise, might want to go for a 6.0 or greater. Especially if you're going to be digitally formatting audio for your videos.
OPERATING SYSTEM - NONE Get either Ubuntu (free) or VISTA (64 Bit) at the least.
SECURITY SOFTWARE - BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY Piece of crap. There is better software out there.
KEYBOARD & MOUSE - NONE Why does this not come with a keyboard and mouse?
MONITOR - NONE Why does it not come with a screen?

As far as hardware goes, the above in blue bold. Is worth $1,540.

Less than that, and you may as well just build your own from scratch.

ET/IT said:
MEMORY ONE - 6GB DDR3 - 1333Mhz MEMORY
MEMORY TWO - NONE Heck, why not. May as well get a second, but make it 4GB DDR3 or 2GB DDR3, don't need another 6 IMHO

That is just bad advice. The i7 930 has a triple channel memory controller which means you install memory in groups of (3) sticks. That means you want to go with a 3GB (3x1GB), 6GB (3x2GB) or (6x1GB), 12GB (3x4GB) or (6x2GB).

A 4GB or 2GB kit just don't meet the requirements

ET/IT said:
OPTICAL DRIVER - DVD REWRITER You want it to be DVD R/RW CD R/RW capable. And Blue Ray as well. If it's not BLUE-RAY, DVD, and CD compatible at all sides, it ain't worth it.

I have a couple of Blu-ray drives and it's not really worth buying one at this time.

ET/IT said:
GRAPHICS CARD ONE - GEFORCE GTX460 - 1Gb DDR You can do better than this. read above post of recommended SPECs

I read your recommended SPECs and they just don't make any sense. Pixel Shader version 8.0 Vertex Shader version 8.0??? Considering these versions haven't been invented yet you will surely be 5 years ahead of everything.

ET/IT said:
SOUND - 5.1 CHANNEL Sound Card wise, might want to go for a 6.0 or greater. Especially if you're going to be digitally formatting audio for your videos.

The motherboard should have built-in HD 7.1 sound, no extra card is needed.

ET/IT said:
OPERATING SYSTEM - NONE Get either Ubuntu (free) or VISTA (64 Bit) at the least.

Don't waste your time or money, get Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium or The Professional Version if you have some older WindowsXP apps (apps not games)

ET/IT said:
SECURITY SOFTWARE - BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY Piece of crap. There is better software out there.

I agree, just use free AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft Security Essentials is also free and I recommend it highly

New series of video cards due next January will go 8.0s.

regarding the RAM, I wasn't aware of that. Interesting.

I wasn't aware the motherboard had a built-in sound card. I've never had a motherboard with one pre-built in before.

Reason I didn't recommend Windows 7, is because it's practically the same OS as Windows VISTA, (I'm taking college courses specific to each operating system, I'm well aware of what Windows 7 has compared to VISTA)

Only real difference between VISTA and 7, is VISTAs user interface isn't as "user friendly" as 7 is, but the differences, unless you specifically study them as is, you wont even notice.

7, so far, because it's still so new, IMHO, I wouldn't waste money on it, not considering the security issues it's having, nor the glitches that are coming back and fourth.

Plus, all programs out, and all programs due to come out for a rather long time to come, VISTA has long life ahead of it.

Plus, considering Windows 8 is due out sometime next year, it would be pointless it get 7 this late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom