I think I have this down, please double check me

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
After much research and figuring out what my motherboard can handle, I want to upgrade my CPU and RAM to take my PC basically to the max of what it can handle short of replacing the motherboard. I really don't want to get into messing with BIOS and the OS that comes with replacing the motherboard.

I have a dual boot of XP and Vista 32 Bit. My motherboard is an Asus M2N68-AM.

First off this is what my MoBo can handle (copied from my MoBo manual):
CPU: AMD Socket AM2+ / AM2 for AMD Phenom FX / Phenom Athlon / Semperton processors.
AMD Cool n Quiet Tech
AMD 64 enables both 32 bit and 64 bit OS.

Memory:
Dual-Channel Memory
2 x 240 pin DIMM slots support unbuffered ECC and non ECC DDR2 1066/800/667MHz modules.
Only supports up to 4GB system memory.
*DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only.

I figure 4GB's of DDR2 1066 is the 'fastest' RAM I can get that my MoBo will still support. I found this on Newegg and it looks compatible with my MoBo specs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298

In addition it looks if I get the RAM I want I have to upgrade my CPU as well to a AM2+ (which my motherboard also supports). I was looking at this quad core which has no fan, but my current system fan says it can be used to cool an AMD Phenom quad-core. This particular quad core is the fastest that my motherboard can support per the Asus website:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103286

My current setup is 4GB of DDR2 667 RAM and a AMD Dual Core AM2 64 X2 5000+ (2.6GHz) processor. If I get the phenom quad core 2.5Ghz, will I be back tracking with the speed, or will the quad still out perform the dual core even though my dual core is 2.6Ghz?

With the specs that I have given I'm sure all will be well with my MoBo supporting it... my only concern is if there will be a noticeable difference in performance with these upgrades, or am I basically peeing in the wind here?

Other factors that may matter are my PSU which I just upgraded to an Antec 550W. The biggest power hog I have is my video card which only draws a wimpy 70W... It's a 1GB ZOTAC GeForce GT 240. I don't believe power will be an issue with the other upgrades.

So what do you think? Does it look like everything will work before I dive in and buy it all? Thanks for the help :wink:

I think you should give us the make and model of your motherboard, and how much are you willing to spend on this upgrade.

I think you should give us the make and model of your motherboard, and how much are you willing to spend on this upgrade.

Here are the specs for my MoBo. It's an Asus M2N68-AM. As for what I want to spend, I want to keep it under $200, the closer to $150 the better.

Here is the manual:
http://static.compusa.com/pdf/e4438_m2n68-am se2_contents_web.pdf

And here is what it is compatible with per the Asus website:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - M2N68-AM

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
check to see if your motherboard is revision 1 or 2, if two get the athlon 2 x4.
newer architecture, faster.

or you can go for the phenom triple core.
AMD Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition Heka 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor HDZ740WFK3DGI

the propus will be faster in multi-core optimized programs, like video/audio transcoding, rar compression. phenom will be faster in everything else... like games.

see comparison for yourself. Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

ram is ram... can't argue :p

Maybe I am a little confused here... my MoBo says it supports AM2+ & AM2 CPU's... it says nothing about AM3. The second CPU says it's an AM3, and in the list of compatible CPU's, the one you linked is listed as compatible, even though it is an AM3.

I'm not really sure of the difference between AM2, AM2+ and AM3, or what they mean for that matter.

An AM2+ board can run AM2, AM2+, and AM3 CPUs. ;)

According to the compatibility list all versions of your board can run the hexa-cores.

Unfortunately my wallet isn't compatible with the hexa-core (as much as I'd love one)... thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting the Phenom II X4 3.0GHz... It will be more then enough :-D

Well I did it...

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX945WFGMBOX
&
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK

Wait til my wife gets the bill... even though we have the money she'll still flip :hrmph:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom