Daniusoft Video Converter Ultimate Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that's good for me.

One thing I would really like to see, the graphs provided only show the i7 rigs, can we get similar graphs with the AMD system, cuda enabled, and disabled, or? :3

I just like to see every piece of benchmark possible when it comes to this kinda thing, especially with the lower end system, as I am doing a crap ton of converting, but, forgot, my laptop has a cuda capable card, I am just wondering if the significantly slower processor in the end would hamper my efforts to speed this up compared to the desktop, hence why I like seeing lower end benchmarks :3

The reason why the graphs dont show my system is that of all the conversions done only 1 actually used CUDA. The conversions i did for the XBOX 360 were the only ones that were actually full HD so CUDA provided benefits for that conversion aspect. I didnt test using other devices cause there is no way for me to actually be able to view the conversion and see the quality compared to the original used. So while i can do conversions for other things that involve CUDA i cant test the conversions out to know how they rank in regards to the quality.

I did make note of the difference included with CUDA and without in my comment area.

Another thing I noticed was that with CUDA enabled and being used my CPU was being stressed for both cores at an average of 95% each. But without CUDA I noticed that the program didn't act as a SMP. The 1 core was averaging about 25% utilization while the other core was up there at 85% average. While it didn't happen on every video, it was still something to make note of.

That being said the use of CUDA was very important. I noticed that the times were cut down drastically when CUDA was in use. Converting a sample video file for the XBOX with the highest settings available and CUDA enabled only took 4 minutes and 20 seconds, without it took 18 minutes and 11 seconds. If you do the maths, that's a speed increase or 320%. Even on Normal settings the addition of CUDA was significant. Time for conversion was at 3 minutes 48 seconds with CUDA and 15 minutes 29 seconds without, a speed increase of 307%

I didnt feel that it was right to test more items out using CUDA since there was no way for me to verify the quality of the results. So while i can provide you with this information, i cant verify anything else for you in regards to the quality aspect. So the tests would only be halfway done. As each test performed was not only timed in regards to how long it took, but i also transferred them to the device i did the conversion for and previewed the end result to know the quality as well.

So if you wish i can perform some more tests on the video and convert it to other sources to get you this additional information, i just wont be able to tell you the quality of the conversion on the device itself. While i maybe able to view the conversion on my PC itself, that isnt the same as seeing it on the device itself.

Naa that's alright, I am poking around there software, and find it very interesting, having my laptop with the 8600M GT has cut my conversion time in 1/4th, even with a significantly slower processor, the CUDA support, just kinda, well, it's amazing IMO.

The extra GPU boost should be VERY noticeable if you're stuck with a slower processor. My i7s are perfectly capable of handling the conversion pretty quickly by themselves, however a slower cpu that would normally bottleneck the process now won't be such a huge factor, as the gpu will handle some of the work going through.

I'll run the same tests I did on my other two systems on a couple slower ones and post up the graphs here for you

Well, I first started to convert my library, lets say, it took 3 hours to convert a movie, it has an AMD Athlon 6000+, and 3GB of DDR2 800

I decided to share the library on my network, and have my laptop, with a Core 2 Duo 1.4Ghz and 2GB of DDR2 663 or something like that, but it has the 8600M GT, it only took ~40 minutes to convert the exact same video file on that laptop.

The AMD processor always outperforms the Intel processor, but, the CUDA enabled GPU, over all, kills the higher end gaming rig of mine when it comes to video conversion.

The conversions i did for the XBOX 360 were the only ones that were actually full HD
Hey, what file format does the 360 need to play HD video files? Until now I thought it could only play SD avis :)

Good review btw, very comprehensive. And it's good to see CUDA actually makes a difference.

When the conversion was done the video was in a Quicktime .mov format and it did play on the XBOX with ease.

I am actually having issues if I try to do batchs of movies over a NAS -.-

Seems the software freaks out and the files end up being ~100mb and corrupted to the point nothing can recognize them....

^orly? I know I did at least 10 sets of conversions from my NAS, everything from single files to converting a whole bunch of tv episodes. The only time it stuffed up is when two people were also using the NAS and one of them was watching one of the episodes that I was also trying to convert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom