Any comments, suggestions, or advice on the XFX XXX Edition 650 Watt Modular PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all. I just received a XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply through an excellent combo deal [I know, I should have asked here first]!

I did notice the XFX 650w Black Edition had some fairly good comments here.

Can anyone share some comments, advice, and/or advice on this XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W please? I am not even sure it is worth keeping.

Anyone here know if it is better quality than the Enermax Infiniti Ein720AWT 720W Modular PSU that I am now using?

Here's some of the specs and info this PSU:

Model

Brand
XFX

Model
P1-650X-CAH9

Spec

Type
ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91

Maximum Power
650W

Fans
1 x 135 mm ball bearing fan

PFC
Active

Main Connector
20+4Pin

+12V Rails
Single

PCI-Express Connector
1 x 6-Pin, 3 x 6+2-Pin

SATA Power Connector

SLI
Ready

CrossFire
Ready

Modular
Yes

Efficiency
> 85%

Energy-Efficient
80 PLUS BRONZE Certified

Over Voltage Protection
Yes

Input Voltage
90 - 264 V

Input Frequency Range
47 - 63 Hz

Input Current
12 - 6A

Approvals
UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, C-tick

Dimensions
13.98" x 7.87" x 5.51

Weight
21.27 lbs.

Features

Connectors
1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 8-Pin EPS 12V
1 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V
6 x Peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

Features
650W of continuous power at 50°C
Tight voltage regulation (±3%)
High efficiency operation up to 85% (80 Plus Bronze)
Single, high power +12V rail (up to 52A/624W)
High quality Japanese brand capacitors (105°C)
Quiet 135mm ball bearing fan provides superior cooling
Detachable modular cables
Energy Star 4.0 and RoHS compliant

Manufacturer Warranty

Parts
5 years limited

Labor
5 years limited

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• 17-207-007-TS.jpg
    17-207-007-TS.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 247
it is generaly a good idea to stay away from unpopular small brand PSU's. XFX is good for their graphics cards but i dont know much about their power supplies. Look up some reviews on it and see if its any good.

Alive777.

Thanks for your reply.

I did notice that Ste had some good words/advice on the XFX 650w Black Edition***:

Highly Recommended Single 12V Power Supplies
How much does the rest of the hardware cost: Variable
What can you expect to pay for a PSU in this list? : Variable, expect to pay more.

All PC Power and Cooling Products
Corsair (HX's & TX's)
OCZ (Series Gold)
Thermaltake (ToughPower Models)
Xclio (DiamondPower)
Silverstone (DA1000)
Silverstone (OP1000)
XFX (Black Edition)***

I was hoping someone here could let me know if this XFX XXX Edition 650 Watt Modular PSU was in the same category as the Black Edition.

I could not find many reviews on this component....I think this unit is a fairly new PSU release because New Egg only has 1 review on it.

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Soar

Should be fine, were you planning on using multiple graphics cards in your build?

Hi Eric1!

I had that Q6600 for a couple of years and it sure served me well! I recently sold it as well as the entire rig and the customer couldn't be happier! Those are excellent processors!

Ok, well, my plan is to use the XFX XXX Edition 650 Watt Modular PSU in a brand new rig I will begin building hopefully this week. I received one of the new AMD 1055T's and I thought it would be a good idea to semi future proof for the next two years by using that 1050T. I have everything I need except the motherboard I feel might be best and the RAM. Presently I am doing inquiries as to what would be the best choices for the RAM and motherboard for this 1050T.

The three MB's I presently have at my disposal are:

MSI 880GMA-E45
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H
MSI K9N6PGM2-v2

I hesitate to use any of the three for various specific reasons [BIOS issues, Micro ATX's when I was hoping for ATX's, etc].

I am proceeding somewhat slowly simply because I would like to get it right the first time around. Nearly every build I have done in the past has gone sweeeeeeeet with the exception of the last one [you can see the headache components listed in my signature].

I would like to avoid the craziness of that last build if possible...it was so frustrating that I was tempted to throw the entire rig out the window and into the river...

So far, on this new build, I find it a little strange that some of the PSU calculators are telling me 550 watts where as others are saying I need 634 watts. So I want to be careful in this area. I always do my best to go over by at least 100 watts of the recommendations on a new build.

I will definitely ONLY use ONE GPU and it will probably be a GTS 250 since I already have a number of em' laying around and I see no need to go with the 5970, 5870, etc. I do very little gaming and I am not comfortable throwing out so much $$$ for a GPU since I simply do not need it at this point in my life.

Ok, I hope I have answered your q's!

Have a good one and let me know if you have any good suggestions!

Soar

Yeah, the XFX PSUs are roughly on par with the Corsairs, Antecs and Seasonics. I read somewhere that internally, they're pretty much identical to the Corsair ones (since they're manufactured by the same company).

Yeah, the XFX PSUs are roughly on par with the Corsairs, Antecs and Seasonics. I read somewhere that internally, they're pretty much identical to the Corsair ones (since they're manufactured by the same company).

Noo, take it back.

Since i progressed from being a "Expensive PSU naysayer" to getting a Corsair PSU i've put Corsair on a 10meter high pedastool and they are literally the best PSU company ever. No one comes close ! :D

I don't think I would put the XFX against a Corsair, but XFX is a very reputable company and the power supply has a 5 year warranty according to Newegg. If you have any problems I'm sure XFX will take care of it.

On the other hand you already have a 720 watt Enermax power supply that is more than enough for your system. But this power supply only has a 3 year warranty, how long have you owned the Enermax?

You presently have a 9800 GTX+, are you planning on upgrading to a faster card soon? The XFX power supply should handle any new card fine but if SLI or Crossfire is a possibility then the 720 watt Enermax maybe a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom