IT Interns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFlare

Baseband Member
Im in my 5th quarter of college working toward a degree in Networking/Information Technology and its getting close to the point in the program where an internship is required to graduate.

If there is anyone that knows of a good way to go about getting an intern (how to find one) it would be greatly appreciated. Also, from what I have seen after looking at several job websites, is it too much to expect a paid intern?

Also, do you think there is a big difference between an intern and a part-time IT job? I seem to be finding a lot more part-time jobs than interns.

I do not currently have the CompTIA A+ cert or Network+ cert but after I graduate I plan on getting into a job in the field and work all the way up to the CCIE cert. Yes, I have heard its hard to get, but I'm only 20 years old and this is what I plan on doing for the rest of my life.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you don't have A+, or Network+. (mainly both together) Very few employers will so much as trust you with so much as a password to their networks.

College background is one thing, Certifications are another. They are HUGE. Majority of the time, the Certs are the only proof you know your stuff better than some HS kid from a Skills Center.

That said, if it's labeled as a class, talk to your colleges faculty concerning it. They usually have stuff set up just for that.

I'm in the same bout as you. I think you should accept the part-time job to gain experiences. You may never know, you may land a full-time job depending on how well you do.

At my CC, second year, I have to go through 5 credits of "On the job learning". However, the Instructors already have "friends in the business" for students to work with for said credits.

Definitely look at the CCs program, and speak with your instructors, even your counselors and see if taking that part-time job would count towards your degrees requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom