Ebay seller offering custom builds...what do you think of this build? (no flames pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ebay seller offering custom builds...what do you think of this build? (no flames

Thank you for the info. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my explanation, but I do believe I need the multiple cores more so than a gamer needs them. Our business will depend on this workhorse to run 24/7, continually processing data in the background. And it will be running on multi-threaded software designed to exploit multiple cores. This is not simply for personal entertainment.

You may be right that an i5 will be sufficient, and I have been considering the 760 for this reason. But for $90 more one can get an i7-870. Does the saying "buy the most you can afford" no longer apply in this case? Perhaps.... But if I have to err, I would rather err on the side of overkill rather than insufficiency. Since I lack any first hand experience with these new processors, I have no frame of reference to go by. Perhaps I should contact the makers of the software I am using to see if they have any further input before I decide.

Thanks again for your input thus far. It has been helpful.

Re: Ebay seller offering custom builds...what do you think of this build? (no flames

I understood what you were saying, I didn't mean for it to sound like you were using it for entertainment, I knew you wanted it for work related uses. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with you on getting the best if you can, I was just suggesting some ways to save money if you didn't want to spend that much.

Give us a list of programs you use and the ways you use them, Maybe we could better assist you.

No apologies needed. I appreciate your input, and I think at this point I am strongly considering the i5 as you suggested. Unfortunately, due to the nature of business-to-business practices, I cannot reveal the software we use publicly, as we are a privately owned company, and the people who want to copy our business can easily track messages on these boards.

In any case, I can assure you that the software we use is designed for multi-threaded processing. For example, one company that has done testing has said that the software will run twice as fast on 4 cores compared to 2 cores (If this is true, it makes me wonder how fast it can run on 6?). 100% increase in performance from 2 to 4 cores is nothing to take lightly. Such a marked increase in performance can reduce our workload substantially, considering these computers are continually processing data with this software virtually indefinitely.

Ultimately, we will probably be upgrading our entire line with new machines. So this first machine is more or less a pilot, to determine what we need for future additions.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I think for now we may just end up going with the i5-760. If we are happy with it, great. If not, then at least we know we need better.

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
Price is 288.00

Newegg.com - MSI X58M LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Price is 169.99

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3K3/3GR

68.99 with 5.99 shipping and handling

This Intel build comes down to: 532.97 you saveed yourself 68.00+

I know you don't like AMD, but highly consider what AMD can offer you and almost rival the intel core i7.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT55TFBGRBOX
199.99 with free shipping Phenom II X6

Newegg.com - MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard you have a choice of ati onboard or PCI-E you 2 choices. 79.99

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3K3/3GR

68.99 with 5.99 shipping and handling

For this AMD build so far it's 348.97 thats nearly equal to a intel core i7 only thing s is you will be paying less than 252.00 for the intel build I put together for you, in the long run you will have many options available to you with a AMD build, choice is yours.

Rising_sun,

Atleast with that Mobo you are picking out it supports an i5 as well as an i7 so if the i5 isn't to your liking you can easily upgrade. I strongly suggest the i5 now especially if you plan on upgrading multiple machines. Saving money and still having great performance will make your boss happy if you have one lol.
Goodluck man and I fully understand privacy especially on a companys behalf

The i5 IS A QUAD CORE! The i7 only has the hyperthreading... thus 4 real, and 4 imaginary.

However the x6 is the better option as the mobos have the 4200 gpu.

Patonb, If you were directing that to me I knew that. Thats why I was suggesting the i5 instead of the i7 to save the O.P. some money for his build.

Ok guys, well I took your advice and decided to do the build on my own. I ordered everything on the list I posted above (I went with the i5 for now). I followed all the instructions in all the manuals for the install, and used the "Animated Guide" recommended by Slaymate as an aid (which was very helpful).

It booted and posted fine. However, after loading the Windows XP installation CD, choosing the partition, and began installing the files, the computer went to the Blue Screen of Death. I restart the computer, goes back into the Windows installation, begins copying the files again during installation, but again, BSoD.

Strangely, when it asked me which partition to install the OS on, the only one listed was unallocated space of 187 GB, but the hard drive in the system is a 640 WD Blue. I don't know if there is a connection or not.

This is what I was hoping to avoid by getting a pre-built system. Hopefully this can be solved soon? Any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's an older version of XP Pro (yes I think its SP1).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom