For my kids (girls)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pii's are all am3 if i remember, with i think the only exception being the x4 940 which is am2+.

wasn't trying to give you a lesson or anything lol, just pointing out that one part :D.

11 years is past breakage anyways, at 10 I got a 40W bookshelf stereo system because I wanted some decent bass and the system still works today (I'm 20 now) although it did break a few times of electronic failure (not of my doing). It depends on the kids, but I wouldn't worry too much there. I would go with something cheap but still having decent sound or maybe even headphones (keep the parents happy while the kids listen to music).

Folks thank you so much I had to leave for awhile and just got back for cpu access. Going to read over this thread tonight (afternoon for the USA folks) and try to come up with something. I guess budget wise I would like to spend no more then 500 per PC if possible. Other thing I realized was that they will both need wireless cards since the router is in my bedroom. Will take a look and try to put it together tonight and post it in this thread.

If you want cheaper PC's it might be better to get them laptops or netbooks. They come with a wireless card and can double as portable entertainment to keep them happy during long car trips. Netbooks (mini laptops) are good for web browsing/Facebook/e-mail/instant messaging/etc. and basic (non-3D) games and when equipped with hard drives can hold a good amount of music too. I got my netbook for $250 after upgrades (added Bluetooth, Windows 7 Pro to a $200 netbook) and love it for on the go and basic computing. A netbook + monitor/keyboard/mouse can be had for less than $500 (USD) and works double duty as both a basic desktop setup and a portable computer. Netbooks are about the size of portable DVD players (and you can rip DVD's using a different PC with a DVD drive to them) so they work well on the road.

I bring up travel because when I was 11 (and still to this day) I need to be entertained during long car rides (we go on a 11 hour ride and back several times a year to visit family) and once I got my first laptop I couldn't go back.

A netbook+monitor allows them to do homework (netbooks run Office pretty well if they're running Windows), browse the Internet, chat with friends, and even video chat (most netbooks have webcams) while being cheap. The kids won't need dual core or quad core CPU's or 4GB of RAM anyways.

I would get them laptops. not netbooks or a desktop. You can get a rather decent laptop for about 399 usually at futureshop (bestbuy if your American) that would do everything they need it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom