Does this MOBO, CPU, and RAM make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyk

Beta member
Okay, so I'm putting a rig together. First one since like '99. I feel like I've forgotten a lot of things and I'm having a lot of trouble picking components. My goal is to have a "future-proof" rig and something I can overclock. I've never overclocked before and want to learn. ANYWAY take a look please.

MOBO
Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme 3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH

I've read up on some other peoples rig on newegg and would see comments along the lines of "Why would you buy a nice mobo and put that kind of RAM into it" and just stuff like that. So I just REALLY want to make sure everything makes sense together when I purchase the components. Thanks a lot guys. I'd really appreciate anyone helpin me out!

ASRock is a pretty crappy brand of mobo. If you can't afford a decent board you should look at an i5 or even a AMD system.

DDR3 2000 memory? Buy DDR3 1600 and spend the money you've saved on a good mobo.

You might wanna snag this deal before it expires :

Newegg.com - OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK
<--- 6gb, triple-channel, DDR3 @ 1600mhz, supposed to work well with Intel CPU lol, only $119 after mail in rebate

If u wanna O.C.

Get this case/fan setup :

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Quantum ATX-798WB Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
<--- sweet case with 5 120mm fans, 7 expansion slots (if it matters with that mobo lol) $49 after mail in rebate

Fans :
5 of these :
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20CG-GP 120mm Green LED Case Fan
<--- 90 cubic feet per minute, silent only $10 each (regular stock case/cpu fans pretty much by default only pump around 10-20 cubic feet lol)

1-2 of those fans on exhaust with 3 fans pumping through your computer should keep it **** cool. I'm not exactly familiar with Intel CPU socket CPU fans...But if you want to find a good one, search newegg for ones that pump over 40-50 cubic feet and are silent if you want it quiet instead of sounding like a dang dustbuster like my PC hehehe :)

Also, this mobo looks good for O.C. and should be decent if not great quality :

Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard
<--- nice O.C. ratings, 6-240pin ddr3 up to 24GB ram, 4-way SLI, supports triple channel ram, only $159 after mail in rebate

-Thal

Also...Dunno what GPU you have, but heres a good card from both ATI and Nvidia that you might want to look at if you plan to upgrade later on (Crossfire, SLI) also they are great stand-alone cards for a gaming comp :

Nvidia :
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
<--- $219 after mail in rebate, fast card...great speeds, supports 3-way SLI

ATI :
Newegg.com - MSI R5830 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
<--- $184 after mail in rebate, great O.C., supports 4-way crossfire

-Thal

^ a gtx 460 would be a better pick for the same price, it basically gives the same performance without it's heat and power consumption.

oh, and don't double post :thumbsup:, that's why there's an edit button.

OCZ has been sliding with their RAM the past year or so, so it doesn't surprise me.

I prefer G.Skill, myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom