Need some expertise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSamGod

Beta member
Hello, I've never built a Pc before but I'm familiar with parts, this is the set-up I'm planning (mostly going to used for 3-d graphics and gaming). Would everything be running smoothly? Anything else I need to know?

Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7-875K
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Power Supply Unit: Thermaltake 850W (Will this be enough to power the setup)
Cooling Unit: Asetek Liquid Cooling
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 480 (not sure what one) (maybe in SLi with current GT 8800)
Hard-drive: 1Tb (is there difference between makes or anything I should really know)

Budget around £1300 (converted into $ around 2000)

Thanks very much.

With a budget like that there is no reason why you should not have SSD. Get an i7-930 and an ATI Radeon HD5870 (or even better, 5970, that'll whoop any game or app out there), better PSU just in case. Get you items in combos, save some money. From newegg that is plenty enough money for what I have outlined above.

Just my two cents

No, I mean run OS on an SSD and data on HDD. There are any number of configurations of SSDs and HDDs, although I would suggest (based on reasoning and research, not experience) either:
1) running OS and programs from SSD and data off of HDD,
2) running a RAID configuration (I suggest an advanced one, not 0 or 1), or
3) running OS from SSD and data/programs from an advanced RAID configuration

that would give you capacity and speed all in one.

I've done some more searching and this is what I could get for my money:

Monitor - Acer GD245HQ - £275 (can buy another day, just including for possible feedback, I know Alienware also do a monitor for 3d)
Acer GD245HQ - DVI LCD display - TFT - 23.6" Monitor | Ebuyer.com

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Dual Gigabit - £244
(Recommended by Slaymate)
ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Dual Gigabit LAN 8 Channel Audio ATX | Ebuyer.com

Processor: Intel i7 930 2.8GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache - £223
Intel i7 930 2.8GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache Retail.. | Ebuyer.com

Case: Coolermaster HAF X - £155
Coolermaster HAF X Case | Ebuyer.com

Graphics card: Nvidia GTX 480 - £366
Asus GTX480 1536MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E.. | Ebuyer.com

SDD: Dose it make that much of a difference if using one for OS, if so I would only want a cheap 20-30GB one.

HDD: Samsung HD103SJ 1TB - £48
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII.. | Ebuyer.com

Blu-ray optical drive - £50
Samsung SH-B083L 8x BD-ROM with DVD±RW DL &amp.. | Ebuyer.com

CD-RW/DVD-RW - Take old one out of computer

Multicard drive - £6
Black 3.5" Bay Internal Card Reader with SIM and IR | Ebuyer.com

PSU - Alpha power ATX-850 850w - Already own (I can imagine is good enough to run this set-up)

RAM - Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX XMP Memory Kit CL8(8-8-8-24) - £127
(Recommended by Slaymate)
Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX XMP.. | Ebuyer.com

Total = £1213 or £1494 w/ monitor

Any feedback would be appreciated, also looking for good a wired Gaming mouse and keyboard, thanks.

(I think I won't bother with liquid cooling as I can't be bothered to set it up and since I won't be trying pushing it to any record limits.)
(I had been recommend e-buyer by a friend, uk based, free shipping, and seems cheap)

newegg dose not ship internationally, know of any U.k. based websites I could but parts from?

Hence the reason there is a "Location:" area in everyone's profile. It helps us know where you are so we can recommend stuff from the right places. ;)

Depends, apparently you have to call them up from overseas to place your order, also they don't except debit cards or such if your overseas. Easier just to find a uk based site.

(Yeah I have too much free time at my office, I've searched a few sites)

You really won't see any difference by buying the Rampage mobo unless you have a killer watercooling setup or something even more extreme. This is much cheaper and it's still loaded with plenty of overclocking features. ASUS P6X58D Premium iX58 Socket 1366 Dual Gigabit LAN.. | Ebuyer.com

You really don't want to mix and match the memory on an i7 setup. You should take the money you saved on the motherboard and get something like this. Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX XMP.. | Ebuyer.com

I can tell a big speed difference between a SSD and a standard hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom