Superman...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonygomiello

Beta member
Greetings........I recently passed my CCNA exam. i need some advice on where to go from here. when i view job postings, they seem to ask for a TON of knowledge. Active Directory, Exchange, Firewalls, VPN, Windows Server 2003, etc. Is a network admin expected to know ALL of that stuff? i have never worked in a large enterprise, but i have some experience at a small help desk. i was under the impression that the IT department had its own departments.....for example, the Cisco guys, the Active Directory guys, etc.....but job postings seem to want one person to do it all!
I'm very confused as to where to go from here? CCNP? MCSE?
Maybe some of you can share your experiences and how things work at your company....
Who confIgures and troubleshoots the routers/switches at your job?
Who configures the firewalls/VPN's?
What does a typical CCNA/MCSE do at a company?
any replies are extremely appreciated......thanks!

At my job...
I do helpdesk support
I manage all the workstations in the company (hardware and software)
I manage/install the servers. Mail, Antivirus, FTP, Print, Proxy, Backup, etc etc etc.
I configure firewall changes
I troubleshoot router/switch issues
I troubleshoot the network in general (e.g. speed issues)
I upgrade/install new network cabling.
I manage several Database servers, SQL type stuff.
I manage/service/troubleshoot printers. This ranges from little desktop printers to 6ft long monster printers with 9,001 parts...oy vey...

I could go on, but you get the general idea ;) The 'IT Guy' is expected to know how to do EVERYTHING. Fix EVERYTHING. Be a pro with EVERY piece of software. So I'm not too surprised by the job description. Just get some general knowledge in the stuff they're asking for, and don't overstate your abilities when you go in for the interview. Likely as not there'll be some on the job training as well, so once you've got the basics down and you've applied for the job, picking up the specifics shouldn't be too hard.

wow that is some responsilbility you have there!
how did you learn all of that........on the job?
do you think it would be beneficial for me to study for MCSE?
now that im a CCNA, i'm kind of confused in which road to take.
it seems like no matter which way you go, you still need to know it all........

My job is pretty much the same, although my official title is "Help Desk Admin" I do that job plus network admin. Its seems like you need to know a lot of stuff but its for the most part all interconnected, if you know MS Server then you pretty much know AD, exchange, etc. Generally the IT guy is a jack of all trades, including networking stuff.

In my job I do or work with:
Win 2k3 Server
WinXP
Beta testing Win 7 for production
OS2 warp
Oracle
Cisco networking
Avaya Phone support
Deskside support
All Office products
AV/End Point
Security (to a degree, there is an IT Sec department)
Break/Fix
Upgrades
Theres more but I forget

I would take the MCSE, it is beneficial to your career path and you'll learn a bunch of things

Most of what I know I learned on my own--always been into tech stuff

For those of you who currently work in IT, how much do you make? Just curious cuz I'm in the same boat as tonygomiello.

What you make really depends on your market. Dont go by those salary calculators--they are usually high. But I make a very nice living

WhiteFlare,

there are IT Professionals (Even ET professionals) I conviene with time to time.

Best way to put it, the broader your horizons are, the better. And you'll paid accordingly.

As I've discovered, after visiting a friend's new house, only to learn his father is a Networking Engineer (Network Administrator). With everithing under CompTIA, Most ETA-I (even stuff specific to Electronics), and is even able to connect sattelite networks.

Needless to say, he is very, disgustingly almost beyond over paid for what he does......

But he does EVERYTHING. Even in charge of a team of 30 Techs. ranging from Database Technicians, to Network Technicians, to Web Technicians, to Electronics Technicians (to repair damaged circuitry, re-wire components, etc.).

If it has anything to do with any form of software, or hardware, he has certifications to repair it. All the way down to the base coding and electronic circuitry. He even designs firewalls for specific programs, and not just the entire system all together. (Break into the network, each individual "section" as he calls it within the "system" has it's own fire wall as well. Meaning it'll take a great deal longer to steal information, and make it far more difficult to remain undetected.)

The broader your horizons are, the better off you are.

and pay, MOST Employers, will pay you by your Certs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom