Heard anything of the new ATI HD6xxx series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you already have a 5000 series card I'm not sure it would be worth upgrading to a 6000 series card.
It will almost definitely be faster, but we have no idea how much faster at this point.

It is essentially a stopgap before Northern Islands, using some of the Northern Islands design (uncore, not the shaders) and remaining on 40nm.
If they use the same number of shaders (which might be the case given it's still on 40nm) performance difference might only be small.

It may be able to pull ahead of the 480; which I think wouldn't provide a lot of incentive to upgrade from a 5870. And if NI is released soon after, then it wouldn't make a lot of sense to buy one anyway.

Only time will tell though.

Well, im not sticking with a HD5770 until the HD7xxx. it will be a few more years before they come out. My HD5770 performs great for a low-mid end card but its just that...... a low-mid end card. I would like a new GPU by the end of the year and if the price difference is not to different from the HD5870 to the HD6870 then why not go with the HD6870. It is also said to have better tesselation performance then the GTX 480. When the HD7xxx series come out then i will upgrade from the HD6870 to the HD7870 if it is worth it. I dont usually skip a gen in cards.

http://www.overclock.net/ati/778292-hd6000-speculations-confirmed-his.html

According to "mtcn77" over on Overclock.net....The thread is called "Hd6000 speculations confirmed by HIS"...
"The new architecture will be 3d+1d instead of the old 4d+1d, the shader model will be changed to multiple operation instead of single(mimd vs simd) and the sp layout of the new hd6000 final chip will be 4d x 24 parallel processor x 20 simd = 1920sp.
%50 increase in sp count and dp/sp calculation rate increased to 1:2 instead of 1:5 is said to increase theoretical performance.
Simd architecture is also said to heal ati's current tesselation Achilles' Heel by fixing the triangle throughput being chopped in third issue. The new architecture is also said to be having flexibility for a 320 or 384 bit memory bus size.
Increased paralel processor ratio by %50 and l1-l2 caches are said to increase unit shader performance by %25-30 rate over hd5870 and that hd6000 is supposed to be %25-30 more powerful than a gtx480 while maintaining lower manufacture costs and higher chip manufacturing efficiency(%20 bigger die size than hd5870).
http://www.chw.net/2010/07/ati-radeo...e-rendimiento/ taken from chip ****."

Well, im not sticking with a HD5770 until the HD7xxx. it will be a few more years before they come out. My HD5770 performs great for a low-mid end card but its just that...... a low-mid end card. I would like a new GPU by the end of the year and if the price difference is not to different from the HD5870 to the HD6870 then why not go with the HD6870. It is also said to have better tesselation performance then the GTX 480. When the HD7xxx series come out then i will upgrade from the HD6870 to the HD7870 if it is worth it. I dont usually skip a gen in cards.

Wait, you call a 5770 low-mid end? ._.
...What would an nVidia 6150SE nForce 430 be then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom