Fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to place the sensor inbetween the heatsink and the gpu...BUT do not do this unless you are replacing you heatsink and fan with the vga silencer! The stock cooling DOES NOT go back on once removed. So, order one from newegg (they are great) with the link i posted earlier. Then when you put that on, put the temp sensor on and put on a little artic silver 5 (that helps a lot to). And I use Ati tool to OC my card. Get it here: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
I have gotten mine to 465MHz/740MHz and that is stable, no artifacts. BUT that is with the VGA silencer. Let me know if you need anything else or pointers!

I dont think I will oc my card right now, it will be able to play HL2 fine, and i dont play D3, so I should be fine. I'll upgrade my card again in just over a year. How much did you oc the card by? What do you think I would be able to get with a slot fan under it and a 80mm intake over the pci slots? I was playing bf1942dc and i had the sensor in the heat sink, and it toped out at 33C and my cpu stays under 39C.

I have no idea about you vid card temp...an average temp for a gpu is about 60-65C. So I dont know. And if you are gonna buy all those fans for the sole purpose of cooling your card, buy the vga silencer I talked about in this thread, IT IS MORE THAN WORTH IT! The stock speeds on the 9800 Pro is 378MHz(gpu)/680MHz(memory). And I got mine to 465MHz/740MHz. That is about the best you can do without water cooling. Trust me on this one, if you want to OC get the VGA silencer. I am gonna be playing HL2 and I play CS Source right now (it is awesome!). On the stress test, I got about 60 fps stock speeds. After I OCed, I got 68 fps! That eight extra fps will be important when the fps dip low in intense moments.

I'll wait to see how I do on the stress test. I'll get HL2 Silver in a few more weeks. Valve suggests the 9800pro a good card for HL2. We should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom