Is this laptop worth anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairfieldfalconsfan

In Runtime
My brother has an old laptop he got on ebay maybe 3-4 years ago. He is probably going to buy a new one around christmas and wants to sell his old one. I was thinking of buying it from him and wanted to know if it is worth anything at all. It is a Sony Vaio VGN-FJ290. I think these are the specs.

# Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86GHz) Mobile Processor
# 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory
# 100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
# 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
# 14.1" WXGA (1280x800) Wide Screen LCD
# Intel GMA 900 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
# v.90 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ehternet and 802.11b/g Wireless
# Three USB 2.0, FireWire, Type II PC Card Slot and Memory Stick Slot
# 13.4" x 10" x 1.3" @ 5.3 lbs.
# Windows XP Professional, MS Works 8.5, VAIO

The optical drive is not working properly and he uses an external drive. The wireless switch is broken and he uses a USB adapter for Wi-Fi. Something was goofy with the hard drive for a while but I think that problem is gone now(maybe?). I would probably use it for just internet browsing and listening to music and maybe very, very light gaming. I would probably reinstall XP on it. I think he has the disc.

I don't think it is worth anything more than $25 but he wants like $150-200 for it.

Can you help me convince him it isn't worth that much?!?

Thanks for the advice guys.

To MikeFuryXP, when the optical drive first went bad he went to a local PC shop and they said it would cost around $300 and I think that was just for the part not including labor. When it gets closer to when he actually is going to get a new laptop I can PM you with details. If I could it would be a good experience for me to work on laptop but I don't know if it would be worth it to fix it (I don't have much extra money right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom