Can you help me pick a few parts please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
Haven't built a pc in over a year and just need some basic stuff. My brothers pc is out dated and he can't stream videos at all to his xbox through windows media center. So I am going to give him some parts from a old computer I have.

Here is what I have:
Mid size tower
80 GB WD hdd 7200 rpm (from a dell computer actually if that matters)
MB is a Foxconn M7VMX
Artic Freezer 7 Pro

I need:
a GPU, CPU (775), PSU
and some ram (240 pin DDR2). Prefer 4 gb but if you think 2 gb will be fine then let me know. The MB only has two slots for memory.

I will be running w7 on it.

These parts need to be cheap! That said I would like to just deal on craigslist if possible. So can you tell me from this list what is a few good psu's:

dallas computers & tech classifieds "power supply" - craigslist

and gpu:
dallas computers & tech classifieds "ati" - craigslist

and not sure on what cpu you would recommend but any links or suggestions would be great.

Thank you

550 W power supply - $25 (Little Elm)
<-----That looks decent on that PSU page...But if you don't mind getting parts from Newegg, I can get you better stuff for the same price...example :

Newegg.com - PowerColor AX4350 1GBD2-H Radeon HD 4350 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
<---$49 with a $10 mail-in-rebate ($39!!!) That would go good with that config assuming your motherboard has a PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot. Could woop a$$ for running media center apps. The stuff on that webpage looked 5 years old...I haven't even seen a 128mb card since 2003 hehe :)

Newegg.com - PQI TURBO 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Desktop Memory Model PQI-25400-2GSB
<--- 2 of those are $74 and thats a pretty good deal for 2x2gb ram sticks right now. You could get 1 stick and upgrade later or whatever.

Newegg.com - Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300
<--- Cheap 2-core Intel $50

If you find anything on craigslist...You might want to just throw down the clams for that 1gb GPU I mentioned...$39 is **** sweet for a GPU compared to spending 30 bucks for an old 256mb or 512mb card thats been used for over 5 years in someone elses computer lol ;)

-Thal

Thanks. Yes I don't mind either one but you have to account for shipping and my brother wants to keep this cheap as possible. Some of that stuff is cheaper on craigslist so that is why I am looking there.

I think most important right now is going to be what CPU I should get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom