overclocking help request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a screeny showing the final test with LINX abeit a short 3 run pass. I am going to leave it there because I feel I could never stress the system to that point anyway. My core temp topped out at 68C ! according to "Speedfan" anyway. QPI/Dram Voltage is at 1.4

ScreenHunter_01Aug251353.jpg

Is there anything else I should check before I post a listing of all my settings?

Lastly.....I want to express my gratitude to those who have given there time to help me not mention the knowledge I have gained because of your generosity!. Many thanks indeed!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CHEERS---chik

Oh almost forgot. I notice that the specs for my Ram call for timing of 6-8-6-24. I have mine at 8-8-8-24. Could I get a clarification on that? Thanks again.

Speedfan is crap. Your core temps are 82,81,78,77. These are to hot, your asking for trouble. To be perfectly honest HWMonitor actually reports the temps a little low on the Max. value. I use RealTemp for everyday usage as it tends to report a higher value which I feel is more accurate. When I'm helping, I ask people to use HWMonitor as it supplies me with more info than RealTemp.

You should drop your speed back down to 4GHz, I would. What heatsink are you using?

Can you supply a link to the exact memory you have? I looked at what you had listed in your 1st post and the speeds I found said 8-8-8-24. If you lower these to 6-8-6-24 your memory controller will have to work much harder and require more voltage. Since the memory controller is built into the cpu it's going to run hotter still. I would definitely lower the cpu speed back to 4 GHz before I tried 6-8-6-24.

I wondered why there was such a difference between the two (CPUZ and HWMonitor). I like the performance I am getting in my sim while running at 4.2 and my temps never go above 65C even under the most demanding scenery. I don't edit videos or do any of that photo stuff so I will watch my temps and keep what you have said in mind. here is the exact ram that I have...Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 998826
Here is the Fan I bought...Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler This thing drops the temps down ridiculously fast after running the stress tests.

The Cooler Master V8 is a decent heatsink, but it's not what I would recommend for overclocking past 4GHz. You should look into a heatsink like this one. Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler. And you should equip it with (2) 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration.

That is a sweet looking kit of memory :thumbsup: But until you get your temps lower running LinX you should just leave the timings at 8-8-8-24

Hello all
After six months at my current settings I am happy to report I have NEVER has one single crash. Well I guess I need to fix my PC until I can get it to do just that!... LOL. I have decided to buy a H70 water block and I'm going to try to overclock some more. My question is, are there any posts that specifically list clocking results from users ( I've searched like crazy) Just wanted to see if people have listed there clock settings with other system specs shown as well......for comparison sake.

Thanks for your help-------chik

FSX08Feb061035Bill.jpg
I'd like to ask for help again as I now have a H70 cooler and would like to try clocking higher. I seem to have lost my way because when I try to increase the bus speed, My ram frequency also jumps up. Please take a look at the SS and let me know where I am going wrong.
FSX08Feb061035Bill.jpg
overclocking

...I keep reading (page 4) and other places about 2.8 or 2.6 but I just can't seem to grasp it! I go back to my bios and there is no place that says "multiplier". I understand that I can use 21 X 200= 4,000mhz or 4G and that I should be able to use any combination for example 19 X 210.5 =4G
or 22 X 182 =4G......etc. Then if I get BSOD with error 101 = increase core voltage or
error 124 = increase ram voltage.
What I don't get is how to maintain 1600mhz ram speed.
I tried to just increase the CPU multiplier to 22 in order to get a 4.4G speed but then the PC freezes after a few minutes and is unstable.
I guess for some of us it's just to much to comprehend and I'm amazed how easy it is for others. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom