The Reconstruction of Sable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Most here know of my recent computer woes. First my power supply blew but didn't seem to have taken anything with it. This was followed by the failure of a hard drive, and soon followed by the failure of my motherboard. Since I was rocking a s393 CPU, replacing the mobo was out of the question. So I was able to talk my wife into letting me open an account on NewEgg. I let her set the budget ($600), but I decided to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade both of our computers instead of just mine (she is running a socket A 2000+ so she deserves it).

Anyway, the parts came in today. i haven't got time to do anything with them for now as I am getting ready for work. So here are a couple of pics from my phone (only digital camera I own).

0824001139.jpg

0824001141.jpg

I will add more later tonight after work or tomorrow.

I will be reusing most of my stuff. The Cooler Master WaveMaster case, GTX 260, Corsair 650, optical drive, and one of the hard drives (one is going into my wife's rig and the new 750GB will be added to mine).

So, basically, I am stepping up from a s939 X2 4200+ and 4GB of DDR Ram to a Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition and 4GB of DDR3. My wife will be stepping up from her old eMachine to a Athlon II x2 250 and 4GB of DDR2 as well as a 7600GT.

I am thinking seriously about adding a side fan to my case to feed the GTX 260 fresh air. I already have two front intake fans and a rear and top exhaust. That, or look into a different case.

Good stuff man! We will have the same CPU and heatsink ;). But did they really just send the stuff in the box like that? Or did you just take all the packing out for the photo?

Good stuff man! We will have the same CPU and heatsink ;). But did they really just send the stuff in the box like that? Or did you just take all the packing out for the photo?

I had pulled the packing; otherwise you would have only seen a bunch of crumpled up brown paper packing. :D

Here's a shot of what I had done right before I left for work. I spent a lot of time redoing my front fans, rotating them 90 degrees so I could route the wires behind the drive cage. I also rerouted the front panel wires (LED lights and panel connectors) behind the drive cage.

0825001344.jpg

We got out a couple of hours early tonight so I came home and went to work on it. I swapped the drives so that my data drive is up top and my temporary OS drive is on the bottom. The reason for this is because the top position is a pain to get into to pull a drive due to the 20-pin power cable. The temp drive is an old 80 gig that was originally in the computer way back when. Once I have pulled everything from one of the 250s I will ghost the drive on to it and swap them out. I have the 250 mounted above the top hard drive in the 3.5" drive area (with the yellow SATA cable, the other is to my optical drive) as the GTX 260 blocks putting a drive in the two middle positions.

I also discovered that my case is not wide enough for the Core Contact :(. I forgot to include the depth of the mobo and CPU in my figures, so it looks like I will be sending it back. I am going to see if I can find something shorter to replace it with, though. I may look at some cases, too... just don't tell my wife. ;)

Here's where I am now:

0825002348.jpg

It is ready to try firing it up, but I am going to leave that for in the morning. I prefer to be wide awake and have my full mental capacity for that instead of being tired and fuzzy like I am now. I plan on using GParted on the 80 and 750 drives, installing Win7 on the 80, updating the heck out of it, and then transferring everything from the 250. I doubt I will get to ghost the drive tomorrow, but I may try to transfer everything from the other 250 via my external dock so I can get my wife's computer together, too.

Yes, the AMD sticker is off-center on the cooler. It came that way.

Once I get my drives swapped I will finalize my cable management.

Sucks about the core contact. What are you thinking about for a replacement?

Don't forget to post it up in the wire management thread when you are done ;).

I haven't got over to NewEgg yet, so I don't have a clue about a replacement as of right now. If I remember correctly Scythe's coolers are of a lower profile. I will have to check out some reviews and see what I can find.

All of my wires will be behind the drive cage and motherboard tray. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom