Questions about PSU and RAM for my new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threadbare702

Solid State Member
building a new PC at the moment, got the MOBO, CPU, and Video card already.

Here is what I have so far

Core i7 930
Asus P6X58D Premium
EVGA GeForce GTX 460

I don't have any RAM for it (ordering it in a few days) and I am getting confused with it. was just going to get some Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 but when I searched it on Newegg I got this what the heck is the deal? Why so many different kinds?

Secondly I popped in my new Video Card to my old PC that has a cheap 580W power supply and I almost fried everything. It started to smell like burning plastic and I could hear feedback in my headset. Shut it down and let it cool off, everything still works fine thank god!

So anyway I am looking for a new power supply and I am having trouble deciding with that as well. I am in love with a certain Seasonic 750W unit but I am having a hard time spending almost 200 bucks on a PSU.

This one from Antec looks nice but its 4 rails, I have heard some problems with power distribution on dual and 4 rail power supplies. How many watts go to each rail and is my graphics card plugged into only one rail?

This one is pretty good and I can get the Antec 900 case with it and upgrade from my crappy Xion Dazl might just go this route.

I know that basically you get what you pay for but in this case I dont really know what I am paying for. I know I like the modular cables but I dont need them or anything as long as I have what I need.

I do also plan on running a second GTX460 later on should I go bigger than 750W?

Thanks in advance.

To answer the psu question... They all are about the same umph... i.e. 750W ~ same Amps and cnnectors. The Seasonic is $200 because it is a Gold Efficiency... Meaning 87% efficient. The TruePower is a Bronze level, so 83% and the Earthwatts is on 80%

Now, on any quality psu, like the above 3, multi vs single rail really doesn't make a difference.

now Slays psu is a great inbetween... Its not quite as much as the SeaSonics 62Amps, and not as efficient, but better overall than the 2 Antecs, and is usually made by SeaSonic.

thanks but that doesn't really answer any of my questions

I was running late for work, again, so I eliminated all the fluff.

patonb has your power supply question answered.

As for why does Corsair have so many different kits of Dominator Memory, I can only guess. When DDR3 memory 1st came into existance there was a fastest speed available for mass shipping. Corsair then inspected the modules, picked the cream of the crop and called them Dominators. A little later as production improved they found they could reliably sell a newer faster modules. Corsair then inspected these newer, faster modules and picked the best of the best and released a newer Dominator. And so on.

While I do own a kit of Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 2000 7-8-7-20 that costs $500 I can't honestly recommend Dominators to anyone but the hardest of Die-Hard Overclockers. For the money most users will benefit more by buying a good kit of memory like the G.Skill's I linked to and spending the money you saved on a better component elsewhere.

Edit:
And a 750w power supply should run (2) GTX 460 just fine. I just built a GTX 460 SLI rig for a friend and while your i7 930 will draw a little more power than a i5 760 it won't be much more. I had a max. power draw of 575 watts with the i5 760 overclocked to 4GHz and the 460's are maxed out also.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i5-760-gtx-460-sli-235286/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom