Are my temps high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually matt I'm going to have to say bios temps are really quite useless just because not only is it idle but its lower than idle your CPU isn't running an os or any backbround programs its running an 8bit, onboard chip with nothing on it being changed in real time. I don't show the same idle in bios as i do in windows because than the computer is alive with actions rather than waiting for post.

I used to see a 10c or more difference between bios and windows.

His temps sound fine but the heatsink either needs to be remounted or he needs better airflow to see lower temps.

Usually, in my experience, front intakes don't do much apart from cool the hard drive. If you got two fans on the side for intakes im sure that'll cool it down a fair bit, I changed my airflow today, changed my exhausts on side to intakes and saw a 10c drop for my motherboard and 5c for CPU.

Good point Abstract. Didn't think about the OS not running. I would imagine its not that big a draw causing too much heat, but more heat non the less.

Ya that makes no sense not gonna lie so please elaborate.

What you'd be saying is that no matter what the speed or how many cores all bios idle at 70% while the computer is hardly doing anything?

The reason for this is because there is no OS for Advanced Power Management to work. This means that there are no idle cycles or stop grant state.

The processor is working hard in BIOS because nothing is telling it how hard to work ;)
It's actually probably even higher than 70%.
It's most definitely NOT idle in BIOS. This is why your temps are always higher in BIOS compared to in windows.

APM was introduced with Windows 2000. Until then, processors were under a big load for even mundane tasks.

This is why your temps are always higher in BIOS compared to in windows.

Fair enough answer considering you answered it logically rather than n00bing it haha but my temps are lower in the bios and I'm almost positive others could say the same.
I'm thinking there might be more to it than night and day perhaps? Some chips I'm sure handle the bios differently. But! I don't understand what a cpu would be loading if it were under load in the bios. (felt funny to say) It hasn't been delegated to perform any tasks and bios options are changed in real time. So what exactly is the cpu doing because it's not doing something with nothing. You can't think without thought.

EDIT: I could not find a single article or forum on this subject otherwise I'd be willing to admit I'm wrong but now with your answer I believe it's a case by case, chip by chip basis.

Took a couple of minutes to check my temps in bios and indeed I am 9c cooler in bios. Thanks to Matts cooler! :thumbsup: I read 24-25 in bios and i get 33-34 idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom