vapochill worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crward

In Runtime
i have been spending alot of time looking (drooling) at the vapochill systems. reading mixed reviews etc, and wondering, are they worth the large price tag? both the case built system and the stand alone unit

What kind of mixed reviews were you seeing meaning what did the bad ones say? I read one review where the guy said a fuse had blown in the little PCB board that controls some particular operations of the Vapochill unit but he was easily able to replace it. Other than that I've heard nothing but 'It cools the hell out of your CPU' reaching temps like -45. I would say go with that only if:

A) You're incredibly rich and dropping that money would be hardly anything.

B) You're wanting to do some EXTREME overclocking with ridiculously cool temps.

Definitely let us know if you go with that and what kind of experience you have with it

Yes please share your experience with that if you get it!!! I think you should get it if your willing to pay 800 bucks. But ask yourself, Do you really need it? I think a good homebuilt water system will do you just fine.

I have heard that the whole idea of using a miniature fridge is a perfectly good, and VERY cheap water cooling system...
Yan

i read a review for the case and the stand alone unit and the stand alone unit got a slightly better review! all other reviews have basicly said they are both 'the muts nuts'. i'm gonna get 1 but won't be untill march '05 :( when i get some free money from my workplace, but i'll let you know the results (should be running a 3ghz+ cpu by then)

lol......see you in March 2005!!! lol

I have heard that the whole idea of using a miniature fridge is a perfectly good, and VERY cheap water cooling system...
Yan

You heard wrong. A miniature fridge runs off of water vapor dude....you don't want that going into your computer....beyond that a fridge's motor is meant to stop every now and then...trying to adapt it to a computer would be like having the door open all the time. Someone posted a link to where a guy tried making a refrigerator unit for his CPU and some wiring in the compressor was wrong and blew up and so the refrigerated box he made was useless.....all in all it's not a good idea, nor easy, nor CHEAP for that matter to try and use a mini-fridge

Nubius said:
You heard wrong. A miniature fridge runs off of water vapor dude....you don't want that going into your computer....beyond that a fridge's motor is meant to stop every now and then...trying to adapt it to a computer would be like having the door open all the time. Someone posted a link to where a guy tried making a refrigerator unit for his CPU and some wiring in the compressor was wrong and blew up and so the refrigerated box he made was useless.....all in all it's not a good idea, nor easy, nor CHEAP for that matter to try and use a mini-fridge

You heard wrong. A firdges compressor can work off of a lot of different gases. The most common gas or chemical used in a fridge is CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) which is totally harmless, next is the poisonus ammonia, then the ozone eating freon gas most commonly used in air conditioners.Check out this: http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator.htm

Even if a fridge were to run on water vapor it wouldn't matter if it made condensation or not because it is contained in a copper coil. Even the fridges that run on CFC will make condensation. Condnsation is aused by a temperature lower than 0 degrees celsius.

If you were to use a fridge to cool your comp your best bet would be to have your rig water cooled and put the radiator inside a fridge. This is very possible if you get a mini-fridge or "dorm room" fridge and drill 2 holes on the side big enough for a plastic tube to fit through then connect your radiator up to the tubes inside the fridge. Then take some "great stuff" or caulk and seal the holes around the tubes. There you go, you have your own vapochill system.

You heard wrong. A firdges compressor can work off of a lot of different gases. The most common gas or chemical used in a fridge is CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) which is totally harmless, next is the poisonus ammonia, then the ozone eating freon gas most commonly used in air conditioners.Check out this: http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator.htm

Even if a fridge were to run on water vapor it wouldn't matter if it made condensation or not because it is contained in a copper coil. Even the fridges that run on CFC will make condensation. Condnsation is aused by a temperature lower than 0 degrees celsius.

If you were to use a fridge to cool your comp your best bet would be to have your rig water cooled and put the radiator inside a fridge. This is very possible if you get a mini-fridge or "dorm room" fridge and drill 2 holes on the side big enough for a plastic tube to fit through then connect your radiator up to the tubes inside the fridge. Then take some "great stuff" or caulk and seal the holes around the tubes. There you go, you have your own vapochill system.

No the point of the matter is you won't be able to do it. I've already seen one article where a guy tried this and failed...regardless if you use different gasses a mini refridgerator is not meant for that and the compressor is meant to turn on and off. If you'd like to disprove that theory and build your own by all means go ahead but I'm going to say you will NOT be able to accomplish that.

also if I recall correctly he said
miniature fridge is a perfectly good, and VERY cheap water cooling system...
So obviously he was talking about using a fridge as a 'water cooling' solution...does that sound like amonia or CFC? No....... What your suggestions was was to disassemble a fridge and use it's parts to build a water cooling system...that's completely different than putting your computer inside an actual fridge and trying to get it to run like that.

Even if a fridge were to run on water vapor it wouldn't matter if it made condensation or not because it is contained in a copper coil.

If you've never seen condensation inside your refrigerator on any items then you are crazy and have obviously never seen a refridgerator or something. Not all the water vapor is simply contained within the coil there sonny. You're making it sound like you can throw your computer parts in a fridge and expect no consequences. That is just wrong.

Point is...you try and put your comp in a 'mini-fridge' for a 'cheap water cooling solution' and you will fail miserably.

Your method of putting a water-cooling inside the fridge is just ridiculous and completely destroys the whole point of 'using the fridge as water cooling' as Yon thought possible.

Most 'mini-fridges' will not work off something like freon, amonia or CFC and you know damn well it'd generally be water vapor....Musjunk...you aren't a 13yr old computer genius so don't think it. You know a lot of useful info but that post pretains to nothing besides trying to prove someone wrong in which the ideas portraid are nothing of the original idea ' make a "cheap" water cooling solution with a mini-fridge'........

Nubius said:
No the point of the matter is you won't be able to do it. I've already seen one article where a guy tried this and failed...regardless if you use different gasses a mini refridgerator is not meant for that and the compressor is meant to turn on and off. If you'd like to disprove that theory and build your own by all means go ahead but I'm going to say you will NOT be able to accomplish that.

also if I recall correctly he said
So obviously he was talking about using a fridge as a 'water cooling' solution...does that sound like amonia or CFC? No....... What your suggestions was was to disassemble a fridge and use it's parts to build a water cooling system...that's completely different than putting your computer inside an actual fridge and trying to get it to run like that.

If you've never seen condensation inside your refrigerator on any items then you are crazy and have obviously never seen a refridgerator or something. Not all the water vapor is simply contained within the coil there sonny. You're making it sound like you can throw your computer parts in a fridge and expect no consequences. That is just wrong.

Point is...you try and put your comp in a 'mini-fridge' for a 'cheap water cooling solution' and you will fail miserably.

Your method of putting a water-cooling inside the fridge is just ridiculous and completely destroys the whole point of 'using the fridge as water cooling' as Yon thought possible.

Most 'mini-fridges' will not work off something like freon, amonia or CFC and you know damn well it'd generally be water vapor....Musjunk...you aren't a 13yr old computer genius so don't think it. You know a lot of useful info but that post pretains to nothing besides trying to prove someone wrong in which the ideas portraid are nothing of the original idea ' make a "cheap" water cooling solution with a mini-fridge'........

Heres what I have to say:

First: if a fridge turns off ever so often the inside stays the same temperature because it is made to turn on when theres a temp drop! How did you expect icecream to stay hard?

Secondly: I wasn't saying to go stick your comp in a fridge and expect it to work!

Third:
What your suggestions was was to disassemble a fridge and use it's parts to build a water cooling system
I NEVER said this!
I specifically said to put the "RADIATOR" of an already water cooled system inside a fridge! Not to us it as a system itself.

Fourth:
Musjunk...you aren't a 13yr old computer genius so don't think it. You know a lot of useful info but that post pretains...
Your right I'm 14. But thanks for the compliment, I guess.

To prove somethings right of what I just said I just found an article with the same idea that I had. http://www.overclockers.com/tips798/

Also if you look through some of the other articles on that site there is one about that guy who "failed miserably" when the wiring in the compressor went wrong.

Finally: Do you have anything better to do than trying to prove a 14yr. old wrong about computers when I've never had a class in them and learned everything I know on my own? You probably have a degree or are in the process of getting one on the subject of computers, so shut up.

I smell smoke.

Anyways, If you were going to spend that much on cooling, why not just get a better CPU. If you have a top-of-the-line CPU, would you really want to risk it?
Sub-zero temperature sounds cool, but what's the point?
Maybe it's just me, and I'm just a clueless "Virgin Techie" that doesn't understand the concept of O/Cing and why it is done, but that's just my two cents.

How much electricity do those things use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom