Hard drive help...please

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnote82

Beta member
Okay, this is an odd problem. Really not sure if its dying or what, but something sure isnt right. Im going to be specific so please bare with me.

So, the other day, I noticed my 2 TB Western Digital Ext. HD was slowing down. The other hard drives were working fine so I knew it wasnt my computer or anything. I went looking for the problem and even trying to switch USB cords to see if that was the problem but it wasnt.

I rebooted my computer and my hard drive, which was prviously labeled XRay, was then called Local Disk I, and was saying that the HD needed to be formatted to be used. I have a TB of stuff on there so I was obviously upset.

Later, while searching for answers, my HD said XRay again and the files were all there, except when I tried to open music or a movie file, it would take forever to open and when it did, it would keep freezing.

I rebooted again, and the CHKDSK started. It took forever and I didnt have time to wait, so I stopped it. I can tell you that it had alot of "File Record Segment XX is unreadable" errors. And when I logged on, the same thing happened with the HD. It started off as Local Disk with nothing on it to XRay and had all my files,

I then tried to transfer the files, but its not working. I can open the files but it wont transfer more than a few files and it takes forever.

My question is, is there any way to possibly fix this or at the very least save my files elswhere so I dont lose them?

Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

First try using a Linux Boot CD. Ubuntu, for example, and see if you can transfer files more easily. Linux can sometimes read things Windows can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom