Laptop burning drive isn't found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michnology

Beta member
I got a used laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows Vista.
I got it because it is supposed to have DVD burning capabilities which I need for my videography business.

Anyways, I found one problem with it first, it wouldn't play any CD/DVD's. Said there was no driver, but I found a program online to fix that.
Now the issue is that it says it cannot find a burning device, though I know it does have one.
Is there anything I can do or download to fix this problem?

Can you provide the model of the laptop, like the specific model number. If your not sure where to find such information, look beneath your laptop and you should see a sticker with the numbers provided. Mine for example is A215-S7444. Also is the laptop under warranty still?

I got it at a Pawn shop. I know a guy there so it was a good deal. So I don't think it's under warranty. (I'm not good with that kind of stuff.)

Anyways, the number you requested is-
A205-S5851

I'm pretty sure it's a couple of years old. It runs great, I'm personally thinking the people at the shop just deleted some things they shouldn't have because it was a written code program that got it to play disks again... but then again I don't know a lot of this kind of stuff... yet.

The Recovery Partition maybe hidden from view. Being a Toshiba the method to start the system recovery is right after you see the Toshiba BIOS Splash screen hit F11. This should start up the recovery process. If you dont see it you may need to boot using something like GParted or Ultimate Boot CD to see if there is another partition on the drive that you could use to recover. If there is you may have to contact the guy at the shop to see what he did to restore the laptop. If there is no partition you will need to get the Vista Disk. can order it directly from Microsoft.

NoName has brought up an interesting point. Not publicly but still he mentioned it to me.

Now there are 2 situations here.

1. The drive is dead
2. The drive has corrupted drivers within Windows

Now for the 2nd otion to be true the only way to tell is to boot from another disk outside of Windows to see if the drive will work. If that doesnt happen than the first option is true and the drive needs to be replaced. But without testing it first there is no way to know for sure if the drive is actually dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom