Does the university matter for a CS degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uvlak

Beta member
I currently at a community college and will be transferring to a university to get a BA in Computer Science. The career path that I am wanting is Network Administration. I was wondering if it matters what university I go to, whether it is a Cal State University or a private university? As an example, I know in the engineering field you would want to go to a college that has a great engineering department to increase your chances of getting a job. So will it matter what Cal State I go to or is just having the degree enough? I would obviously have certs on the side, but just wondering if it mattered what university I went to. Thanks

Doesn't really matter, unless it's one of the top schools in the nation for that field, like MIT, Stanford, or Carnegie Mellon.

It dosnt matter to be honest. What I looked for when I was choosing a tech. school was if the credits were transferable to other high ranking schools. Not that I was planning on transferring, just to make sure that the material they were teacher was up to standards of other schools.

Just find an Associates in Technical Arts - Network Technician program.

Like the college I'm attending, the entire ATA transfers to CWU, WWU, UW, etc. All credits transfer because that's the agreement between the colleges.

Only the 100 and 200 level IT courses int he ATA turn into 300 and 400 level credits. (So if I were to transfer, I'd be spending two years doing all general ed and business classes, with a LOT of credits waived in place of the additional IT credits) Same thing goes for my Electronics Technology ATA I'm also studying for.

Just keep in mind, in the IT/ET fields of work, school doesn't mean jack crap unless you have the certifications to back it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom