Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel's architecture is such that clock for clock it's doing much better than AMD. Which is why Trotter said the i7 750 and Phenom II x4 965 are roughly the same performance. If you overclock then things change dramatically, but you're paying a big premium for Intel.

Don't forget that AMD is coming out with a new chip. They won a 1.8 billion dollar settlement from Intel, and I think it's safe to assume that some of that money went into Research and Development of a new core. I wouldn't count them out yet on the clock for clock performance game, but they are definitely top dogs of the performance vs price segment.

AMD is working on Bulldozer but the problem is Intel has been sitting on a complete Sandy Bridge architecture since there has been no need for them to release it. Although Intel will be releasing the mainstream Sandy Bridge parts in Q1 2011.

Was hoping that AMD's acquisition of ATI would have lit a creative fire under their a55es in terms of innovation for their processor unit but seems like the opposite has been true.

Was hoping that AMD's acquisition of ATI would have lit a creative fire under their a55es in terms of innovation for their processor unit but seems like the opposite has been
true.

Quote: "AMD Fusion is the codename for a future next-generation microprocessor design and the product of the merger between AMD and ATI, combining general processor execution as well as 3D geometry processing and other functions of modern GPUs into a single package[1]. AMD's merger with ATI closed on October 25, 2006. This technology is expected to debut in the second half of 2011,[2] as a successor of the latest microarchitecture."

Also, the Bobcat core is an AMD Fusion chip for mobile devices.

Sooooo. It DID light a creative fire under their asses.

Also, you didn't need to try and avoid asses as a swear word. It's not filtered. Also, avoiding swear word filters by using numbers or other means is against forum rules.

Was hoping that AMD's acquisition of ATI would have lit a creative fire under their a55es in terms of innovation for their processor unit but seems like the opposite has been true.

I wouldn't say "opposite", their chips are still very good, but if the bulldozer model only competes with an I7 and doesn't blow it out of the water then I will agree at that point. Another thing I have seen about this chip is that it will be compatiable with current AM3 mobo's, if that is true then it makes upgrading nice and doesn't require a full on new build. Will just have to wait and see I guess (if their approach is to just add more cores to push it past an I7 I will no longer be a fanboy)

Quote: "AMD Fusion is the codename for a future next-generation microprocessor design and the product of the merger between AMD and ATI, combining general processor execution as well as 3D geometry processing and other functions of modern GPUs into a single package[1]. AMD's merger with ATI closed on October 25, 2006. This technology is expected to debut in the second half of 2011,[2] as a successor of the latest microarchitecture."

Also, the Bobcat core is an AMD Fusion chip for mobile devices.

Sooooo. It DID light a creative fire under their asses.

Also, you didn't need to try and avoid asses as a swear word. It's not filtered. Also, avoiding swear word filters by using numbers or other means is against forum rules.

Thank you for the rules clarification, I wasn't sure if asses would be considered a swear word, to me it isn't.

What I meant was, at the time of the merger AMD chips were outperforming in a number of benchmarks anything Intel would throw at it but since then they seemingly have been relegated to 2nd place without much of a fight. I have always been a fan of AMD and its just been disappointing that they havent tried going blow for blow with intel, and from my point of view they just have not.

With the P4 chip being a dud, how could AMD not be number 1...

Radical thinking of a small branch went back to the P3 chip and reworked it becomed the core 2 duals. Intel did a huge back pedal and rework to take that spot, so its not too surprising theyve been number 1 for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom