Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ on stock cooling? the x4 965 is already 3.4ghz at stock, i think it's unlikely that going 600mhz higher (aka 4ghz) on stock cooling will be stable.

Still wont matter. I was looking at building with a PII with the idea of pushing 4.0 on air. After many readings of reviews, and people on this board with that chip, I firmly believe 3.8 to be the max. There has only been a couple (as in maybe 3 that I can remember) of people pushing that chip to 4.0 that I have read so far. Toms Hardware had a german team that pushed theirs to 4.0 stable on air for 40 minutes. In comparison the chip that Toms team had was only able to get to 3.8, 3.9 BSOD. If you want to try it please post the results I would love to see if it was able to hit 4.0 or not. My build in December is based on that chip.

what if I use a aftermarket heatsink with performance fan?

if you're going to OC at all it's recommended that you get a better cooler anyway but it's not just abou keeping temps in check. even among the same model cpu (like a bunch of 955's or 965's), each one is subtly different so if one person hit 4ghz with theirs it doesn't mean it's a guarantee that you will too, even if you're using the same hardware.

just to clear it up though, i'm guessing that matt made a mistake when he said just OC the phenom to make up for 600mhz, since it's the i5 that's lacking the clock speed when comparing it (just the clock speed nothing else) to the 965.

rich had kinda explained it before though, you can't just compare amd vs. intel based purely on clock speeds, doesn't work lile that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom