Super fun gaming computer build proposal thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power supply will only produce what the system requires. You can have a 1200 watt power supply but if your system only needs 300 watts then thats all the power supply is going to generate.

Thanks for the info, good to know. I should also explain that my current external speaker setup is a 2.1 system, so I have no need for 5+ channel cards. Not so up to date with audio cards other than channel number and eax so the selection and price differences are pretty big, could use some input on what to look for.

Also, is the memory and cpu a good pair? there a lot of different speed ratings for dd3 and want to make sure I'm making a good choice.

Any other opinions are greatly appreciated :)

TF2 doesn't need a high end graphics card to play. Up until I got a new graphics card, I had to play HL2 on a window with low graphics. TF2 could be played fullscreen, but on low quality. I'd go with a decent graphics card to play the Valve games, but I heard you can stack a graphics card's capabilities by using another of the same, or one which was made by the same company.

Cool. Remember to take pics of when the parts are out of the box, and the completed build ;) And any other pics you care to take.

Count on it. Any tips on proper application of thermal grease for i7 processors? I did a lot of searches and what I found is to either put a stripe of Grease where it crosses the cores or put a rice sized dab on the center and spread it out evenly with a card or finger in bag technique. I understand the justification for both but not sure which one to persue. I'm aware of the flame war that can rise from such a question so be brief about which method i should use :)

Either application is good. Pick one and go with it :p Personally I put a 3x3 grid of tiny little dabs of the paste, so as to cover as much as possible as efficiently as possible. I dunno if that's the perfect way but it works :p
You can always try different ways of applying it, seeing which seems best and sticking with that.

Um... U want gaming computer under $2000???

okiedokie!

Newegg.com - Open Box: MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
<--- great mobo, 5 PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots (4way crossfire and 1 extra Nvidia GPU running PhysX), SATA 6gb/s, and 16GB memory $145

Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
<--- Case with 7 expansion slots, 5 120mm fans and 1 200mm fan (add 6 silent fans pumping 100 cubic feet per minute and you are set, those are only $10 each too), $159

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
<--- AMD 6-core... Can act as a super powered 3-core processor for apps that don't use a lot of CPU, $295

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9Q-16GBTDD
<--- Maxed-out 16GB DDR3 @ 2000mhz, $699

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
<--- 1 terabyte, 64MB cache, SATA 6gb/s, and cheap...Can put up to 6 of these in raid if you want, $89

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
<--- 4 of these in crossfire, $99 each

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N240OC-1GI GeForce GT 240 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
<--- 1 of these in the extra PCI-E slot on that mobo and you can run PhysX with hacked drivers, $99

Newegg.com - Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-800 800W Continuous @50°C,80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready,CrossFire Ready,Active PFC,Compatible with Core i7, i5 Power Supply
<--- 800 watt PSU, supports 4-way crossfire, $99

GRAND TOTAL: $1,981

Don't get a dang Intel, lol... For $1,000 you could get an AMD 6-core and 16GB of memory...If you got the cash for an Intel machine you could go way over $2,000 for a new computer IMHO

-Thal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom