Video Card upgrade: Which is a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascendant

Baseband Member
Ok, here's my specs and here's what I'm looking at:

Current Video Card: galaxy 9500gt
Power Supply: Newegg.com - XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
(power supply does have the 2 6-pin connectors for a video card and is 500w)

The two upgrades I've narrowed it down to are:

1) Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

2) Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Though the 2nd choice does seem like it would be better, there is a $40 dollar difference between the two, and not sure if it would really be that much better than choice 1. If anyone could take a look at the two of them and let me know what you think would be the better choice as far as bang for the buck, I'd really appreciate it.

One other thing as well, how much of a difference will I notice going with one of these two cards? The most graphic-intense things I'll be using it for is gaming, like Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft, which is why I'm upgrading. Want to make sure this will be significant enough to be worth the cost, as ideally I'd like to be able to max my graphics settings on those games and I know the only thing holding me back right now is my video card. Thoughts?

well actually I've heard much better things about EVGA as opposed to ZOTAC as far as customer service. I'd rather not overcomplicate this by looking at other options. I'd much rather stick with my two choices I put above, but assuming by your statements that the 460 would be far better?

thanks for the info. now should a 500w PSU be sufficient for this kind of video card? let me post my other specs:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
ram - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE 160GB Sata 3gb
cd-rom dvd drive - LG 18x DVD+-R DVD Burner with 12x DVD-RAM
case - XION II XON-101
psu - XCLIO Goodpower 500w
sound card - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

500 watts should be good but if your power supply is getting a little old you might want to get a 600 watt unit in the future, 750 watts if you think you might get a second card later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom