Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
Asus SATA 24X DVD Burner
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
TRUE 120 Lapped
LGA 1156 Retention Bracket
Antec 120mm Red LED 79cfm Fan
kevin1z.jpg

I started by installing the Thermalright Retention Bracket. Here's the Backplate, a little to much glare in this photo.
backplate1.jpg

When I tighten down the left side of the bracket it was still lose. I tried to take a close-up of the bracket so you could see the amount of play, I'd say it's almost 3/8".
bracket1.jpg

So I added a soft rubber washer to each post on the backplate to take up the slack. Hopefully it won't be to tight now.
backplate2.jpg

I had to install the CPU before I attached the right side of the Retention Bracket because the Locking Arm is blocked by the Bracket. And you can see the hard plastic washers I'm using between the bracket and the motherboard.
bracket2.jpg

Here's a Close-up of the CPU.
cpuf.jpg

With the CPU and the Retention Bracket in Place I'm moving on to the case. I've installed the Stand-offs and the I/O Shield.
standoffa.jpg

Next I've installed the Power Supply and separated the wires.
wires1.jpg

And a close-up.
wires2.jpg

Looking at the back we see more wires and I'm separating them and tying them up.
wires3.jpg

Here's another Close-up.
wires4.jpg

Next I've installed the Motherboard and all the connectors.
wires5.jpg

Here's a Close-up of the bottom connectors (usb, IEEE 1394a, front audio, front panel header).
wires6.jpg

And a Close-up of the top connectors (24-pin main power and 8-pin mobo).
wires7.jpg

With all the wires connected I attached the Heat Sink, Fan and the Memory. I should of took a picture of the thermal paste being applied, I forgot, sorry.
truei.jpg

Then I plugged in the GTX 460's and the SLI Bridge Connector.
sliq.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the Hard Drive and DVD Player but there's not really much to see anyways.

Here's a picture of everything installed with the Side Panel off.
opencase.jpg

And with the Side Panel attached.
caseclosed.jpg

That's all I did today. Tomorrow I'll power it up and install Windows 7, then the Real Fun will begin.

Well I installed Windows 7 without any problems. The motherboard has a severe lack of Memory Dividers/Ratio's so I had to increase the BCLK Frequency to 160 before the 1600 MHz option became available. The system powered up to 3.375 GHz with the Memory at 1600 MHz, the only voltage I changed was the DRAM Voltage which I set at 1.65 volts.

3375linx.jpg

With Max. Core Temps of 51C-51C-50C-49C this cpu has plenty of overclocking headroom. So I skipped right up to 4 GHz, I set the BCLK to 200 and raised the CPU VCore to 1.3125 volts. I also had to reduce the Memory Ratio to keep the Memory at 1600 MHz. This was just to easy.

4013linx.jpg

My temps are still Great at 64C-63C-61C-62C so I tried to run it at 4.2GHz but the Memory Controller is wanting 1.5+ volts (IMC Voltage). If this was my PC I would go ahead and push it farther but it's not so I won't. Let's see how a pair of GTX 460's run with the CPU at 4 GHz, time for a couple 3DMark Vantage runs.

With the cards at stock speeds GPU/675 MHz - Shaders/1350 MHz - Memory/1800 MHz (My Kill a Watt meter showed a max of 510 watts)
ORB - Compare

25333.jpg

And with the cards overclocked to GPU/870 MHz - Shaders/1740 - Memory/2200 MHz (My Kill a Watt meter showed a max of 575 watts)
ORB - Compare

30973.jpg

That HAF looks so much better than mine. Probably cos my room is incredibly dark, I don't really get to see much of mine much.

Looks like an amazing system, My friend has that haf case, but he painted his black on the interior , looks beast. He also had 4 x 120mm fans rather than your large one, not sure which is best :)

The 4x120mm fans will offer better airflow, but it will be a fair bit louder than one large fan as well. Personally I think the HAF has plenty airflow :)

Good stuff Slay, are you going to keep the 3.3 OC to give to him? Or even the 4?

... i made a mess :(

case in point:

i5 > any AMD X4 ( and arguably X6 )
I would like to see an i5 vs thuban shootout, are there any good comparisons around?

I delivered it with everything set at stock speeds. That will allow me to give him a "Free Upgrade"/Speed Boost later down the road when he thinks he's falling behind :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom