Most Bang for the Buck, AMD vs. Intel???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomt697

In Runtime
Looking to buy a CPU around 2-250, but not sure which to go with. am looking for a cpu that will give me the most amount of performance and last me for a good min. thanks for the advice

I would agree with patonb for the most part. If you're going to spend less than $200 on a processor then buy AMD. If you're going to spend more than $200 buy Intel because they are clearly faster.
Don't buy an i5 or an i3 though. You'd be better off getting a Phenom II x4 than an i5. You'd be better off getting an i7 than a Phenom II x6. In terms of pure gaming performance I mean.

If you want super duper multi-tasking power and media encoding strength, then go for a Phenom II x6.

I would agree with patonb for the most part. If you're going to spend less than $200 on a processor then buy AMD. If you're going to spend more than $200 buy Intel because they are clearly faster.
Don't buy an i5 or an i3 though. You'd be better off getting a Phenom II x4 than an i5. You'd be better off getting an i7 than a Phenom II x6. In terms of pure gaming performance I mean.

If you want super duper multi-tasking power and media encoding strength, then go for a Phenom II x6.

I would only be doing gaming and maybe rarely doing some lite photo/video editiing. Most games right now barely can use a quad core to its fully potential, so a hexacore would be just a was of money?

Yes for now it wouldn't be your best option to buy a hexacore. If I were you I would buy a Phenom II x4 because it's inexpensive, easily overclocked to 4~ghz on air, will power through any game out right now, and doesn't use much power.

The Phenom II x4 965 will give you roughly the same performance as Intel's i5 750 with the cost of $165 vs $195. The biggest difference is in the cost of the motherboards, though, as AM3 boards tend to be much less expensive for the most part (you can always find stupidly expensive boards if you want them).

The Phenom II x6 1055T is $200, BTW.

The Phenom II x4 965 will give you roughly the same performance as Intel's i5 750 with the cost of $165 vs $195. The biggest difference is in the cost of the motherboards, though, as AM3 boards tend to be much less expensive for the most part (you can always find stupidly expensive boards if you want them).

The Phenom II x6 1055T is $200, BTW.

u make a good point about the price difference..... but there is a big 600mhz difference btw the two. isnt that a little more then negligible?

Intel's architecture is such that clock for clock it's doing much better than AMD. Which is why Trotter said the i7 750 and Phenom II x4 965 are roughly the same performance. If you overclock then things change dramatically, but you're paying a big premium for Intel.

Don't forget that AMD is coming out with a new chip. They won a 1.8 billion dollar settlement from Intel, and I think it's safe to assume that some of that money went into Research and Development of a new core. I wouldn't count them out yet on the clock for clock performance game, but they are definitely top dogs of the performance vs price segment.

Intel's architecture is such that clock for clock it's doing much better than AMD. Which is why Trotter said the i7 750 and Phenom II x4 965 are roughly the same performance. If you overclock then things change dramatically, but you're paying a big premium for Intel.

Don't forget that AMD is coming out with a new chip. They won a 1.8 billion dollar settlement from Intel, and I think it's safe to assume that some of that money went into Research and Development of a new core. I wouldn't count them out yet on the clock for clock performance game, but they are definitely top dogs of the performance vs price segment.

Plus keep in mind Intel was forcing some software developers to design in favor if Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom