No Powerup, no POST. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imatree

Beta member
So, I've had this computer for a few years now and recently it just...died on me. I assumed it was the processor, because I recently applied new thermal grease to it, because it was having overheating issues. So, I moved it to the basement for a night, and it powered up and worked fine for about 15-20 minutes, and then just died.

I tried to restart it, and it would not boot. The fans and LEDs would flicker for about a second, and then stop. The power light on the front of the computer would remain on (green). I have no idea what is causing this problem, and I even gutted the computer and reapplied thermal grease to the processor, making sure it was secure.

I've narrowed it down to the power supply, thinking it may have been a power surge, even though my computer was hooked up to a surge protector at the time. Either my motherboard is being conducted, or my supply is fried, but I honestly don't know. Any helpful advice?

Thanks

The psu is easy to check if you can get a digital multimeter aka DMM. You can buy one for under 20 bucks. Its a good investment if you have any need for 1 in the future.

Mobo is more difficult to diagnoes.

Did you pop off the cpu? if yes, double check for no bent pins or TIM in the socket.

Welcome to TF, sad you had to come cause youre broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom