Random game freezes for 2 years =) can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Italianblend said:
Thanks for any help you can give. What other info do you need?

What power supply do you have in your computer? The 9800 GTx requires a 450W PSU. The HP site does not list the PSU for your model, but I would guess it is a 300W or less.

Since it is freezing in games when the card is demanding more power, that would be the very first thing to check. Period.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond!

I just did the windows memory thingy and it didn't detect any problems. I don't have a CD handy but I have a flash drive, so I'll do the memtest today.

Also, when I bought the graphics card, I did upgrade the power supple, I think to 650w.

What MoM said above ^. I would go with the "zip" as windows can extract it without the need for any 3rd party software. Extract the ISO file, then use any burning software to burn the ISO to a CD. If you're not sure or familiar with burning ISO files, reply saying otherwise you know what to do :).

Sorry MoM, just thought I'd clear you response just in case he chose the gz and didn't know how to extract.

So...I'm sorry to be annoying...but I have the ISO file on my flash drive, so do I execute it from windows? I've never done ISO files. Thanks!

Ah, right. I'm guessing you just copied the ISO file over to the USB flash drive? Yeah, that doesn't work :p You need to 'burn' the ISO in the same way that you would burn files to a CD or DVD.
I use the program Unetbootin for this.

Once you've installed it, select the Disk Image option, and navigate to the ISO file you downloaded. Then, select the USB Drive option, then enter the drive letter of your USB flash drive. Then click ok :)

Once it's done its stuff, you need to reboot and boot from the USB drive - you will probably need to press F12 (or possibly a different key) not long after you turn on the system to bring up the boot menu, which lets you choose what to boot from. Choose USB, if it gives you the choice.

Okay, you guys are going to hate me =)

I did exactly as you said, and it was working, the program did write the boot thingy to the flash drive and prompted me to reboot. I did, and found the boot menu, and found the USB device in the boot menu. All was going well. Then I got a screen that said Default boot and it had a countdown for 10 seconds. After it counted down, the counter just repeated...again and again. I tried pressing enter but the countdown just restarted. What is happening here? And thanks so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

Hm, looks like it isn't going to work via USB then. Are you able to burn it to a CD?

Yes, I"ll have to snag a CD from work next week. I'm going to try reformatting the usb drive. Thanks!

I think it has to do with the u3 stuff on the USB drive. I thought the format would take care of that... guess I was wrong...

Okay! I am in business... I found a CD in my house and it worked. It's running now...I'm not sure if it's done or not. At the bottom it says "Pass Complete, No Errors, Press ESC to quit," but the test is still scanning. So I'm not sure if I should stop it or not...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom