HP dv5 AC adapter issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

markpelly

Baseband Member
i have a hp dv5, a dv5-1235dx to be more specific. and ive been having issues with battery lately because Win7 has been letting me know that i need to replace the battery..well at the time it was okay that i had to run the laptop on AC cord..but this is no longer. I recently as of a couple days ago, am no longer able to use the AC cord to recharge OR get power to the laptop. I know that my laptop has issues with overheating..it never has but thats all i hear about on here. its does get rather hot. I was thinking that the computer heated up and melted some wires to the AC port on the laptop..but when i looked deeper last night and checked out the inside of the computer there didnt seem to be any damage..as far as i could see. Maybe it is something rather small that has gone wrong to the plain eye.

But anyways..if i wanted to, is there a way that i can find a port replicator or docking station that connects the power to my laptop without using the AC power port. is that how the docking stations work? through the battery port?

Thanks in advance guys,
Mark P.

Your wire's wouldn't melt. Laptops do not have excessive heat like over 100C.

I'm not sure about the docking station bit. I don't think it is made for that.

What you need is a new AC power cord, or possibly a new PSU. PSU meaning the power jack in your laptop.

They usually need to be soldered in.

are you sure the ac adapter is working? I had one that snaped a wire due to the kinks...See if the box gets warm when plugged in, that usually means its working.

yea the box on the ac adapter cord does get warm when plugged in. and if it needs to be soldered thats fine. i have a family member that does that for a living.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't HP adapters have a green light on the brick part of it that when plugged in turns on? If so does the light come on? And as someone else said does the brick get warm/hot?

If its simply that you need a new adapter then buying a new one (or even use) would be a much cheaper alternative to buying a dock for it

Correct me if I am wrong but don't HP adapters have a green light on the brick part of it that when plugged in turns on? If so does the light come on? And as someone else said does the brick get warm/hot?

If its simply that you need a new adapter then buying a new one (or even use) would be a much cheaper alternative to buying a dock for it

99.9% of AC boxes have a light designating it is plugged into the wall. I've seen some that change the tint when the laptop is powered. When running, it does get hot. It's converting power always.

It is simple to get a new adapter. But first, let's figure out exactly what the problem is.

Actually, a LOT of the HP/Compaq adapters, do NOT have any light what so ever on the power brick, if they have a light, it is actually on the jack inside the laptop, or, it just won't have one at all.

Also, I have seen BAD batteries, actually, fry the entire charging circuit in laptops if they aren't removed/replaced when they go bad, so it is possible, the circuit is just fried.

yea i can check out that link a few posts up. Neither of my HP laptops have a light on the brick for the AC adapter cord. there is one on both of the AC ports on the side of the laptop itself. I have been rather rough with that port while it is plugged in..so im assuming it is this. ill check into it further tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom