OC Ripjaws on AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
From reading online, i found out that my Ripjaws ram wont run at the posted 1600, and only 1333. Now i know lots of people are running 1600 successfully on their systems. Does any one have any tips or guides on how to enter the bios and adjust the timings? I'm not looking to overclock, just run at 1600. Thanks.

You could overclock the ram to run at 1600. The Phenom II x6 processors will run at 2000+. It just depends on what processor and motherboard you're using.

Either way you might have to set the ram to 1333 and overclock it to run at 1600. Like I said it depends on the motherboard.

If you list your system specs I can help more.

I also heard that 1333 RAM runs faster than 1600, can't remember where I saw that but it has to do with the cas latency numbers and such, being lower on 1333 than 1600. e.g. 1333 8-8-8-24 opposed to 1600 9-9-9-24 or something like that. Have a deeper look into the ram you want though. I could be wrong

What I said was that memory timings have just as big an effect on performance as frequency does. What this means is that DDR3 1333 running at 7-8-7-24 is going to perform better than DDR3 1600 running at 9-9-9-24. However, DDR3 1333 @ 7-8-7-24 will perform slightly worse than DDR3 1600 @ 8-8-8-24. It's not completely linear.

The frequency compensates for the latency slightly. So the higher the frequency the higher you can raise the latency without it affecting performance.

Check this ram out: Newegg.com - GeIL Evo Two 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2500 (PC3 20000) Desktop Memory Model GET34GB2500C9DC

This ram is going to dominate almost everything else. The reason for this is that EVEN if your motherboard can't run this ram at its rated speed and timings, the ram itself is capable of the high frequency / low timings. This means you can lower the frequency and timings together. DDR3 2500 @ cl9 should run DDR3 1600 @ cl6 or maybe even a little tighter.

This isn't as easy as I make it sound. The subtimings have a big impact on ram stability, and they go along with the 4 most known timings. When people say 5-5-5-15 or 8-8-8-24 that's not even half of the picture. To really take advantage of high performance memory you have to have an intimate knowledge of memory timings, or be willing to spend a lot of time playing with subtimings to figure it out.

was it Rich? well then you know its right lol

As much as I love reading this, sometimes I'm wrong. I try to only speak up when I have an idea of what I'm talking about but some times I goof up.
If you want to look up to someone for knowledge of hardware look up to Apokalipse.

There's a select few on here I take advice from with 100% confidence and because you only speak of what you know you're up there Rich so be proud haha

Heres my system specs:

AMD Phenom II X4
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
and the Ripjaws

So overclock, or adjust timings?

The Crosshair IV Formula board supports 1600, 1800, 2000. The thing is, you're going to need to force the ram to run at these speeds.
What this means is that the motherboard will not auto-detect timings for DDR3 1600, 1800, or 2000. The reason for this is that the timings and voltage vary so wildly at those speeds that it would have caused more problems to try and generalize the memory and run it at any particular timing.

Your motherboard is loading the JEDEC specs, which is the standard for memory specs. JEDEC issues specifications for various speeds of memory so that when you turn it on the computer actually comes on.
The EPP specs are what you want to run, but they will not be automatic. You have to make the ram run at that speed.

You should reduce the timings to whatever they were advertised, and try to push the memory farther in the BIOS. This can be done by simply increasing the multiplier, decreasing the divider, or increasing the FSB.
That Asus motherboard of yours has all of the features +++++ that you'll need for the job.

I honestly dont understand that. I mean in more simple terms... just adjust my timings?

Couple questions:

1. whats a safe voltage to run at?
2. what are normal timings for 1600?

My BIOS is saying that they are running currently at 1444MHz which i found odd.
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom