Building a pc for the first time, need some help to make sure it all works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, I'm not big on AMD chips so I don't know exactly how well a Phenom X4 compares to an i5. I know my i7 930 would beat a Phenom 2 X4 as well as an X6 on most gaming issues but the X4 is still a good CPU and is much more affordable on a low-budget build than an LGA1366 i7. I don't know about the LGA1156 platform other than it lacks some of the extras from 1366 (Hyper Threading, increased PCIe bandwidth, Triple-channel RAM, etc). I guess an i7 is an i7 on either platform but the memory controller and bus bandwidth limitations can affect it.

i would personally get a 64-80GB Solid state hard drive as a primary (for os and 1-2 games) and a 32mb cache seagate barracuda as a secondary. (other Games And Media)

i would also try to avoid raidmax, everything i have built off there equipment has a knack for going up in smoke!

Sorry for spamming I'm new and didn't know about just editing posts. Also well with my 1000 spending limit is Sean's the best possible gaming rig? I really appreciate all the help everyone's given.

Sorry for spamming I'm new and didn't know about just editing posts. Also well with my 1000 spending limit is Sean's the best possible gaming rig? I really appreciate all the help everyone's given.

Seans rig is pretty solid. I wouldn't say it's the best possible gaming rig for $1000 because not only is that debatable, but it's **** near impossible to tell which deals you'll find where. If you're talking about a purely Newegg built rig then yeah it's pretty close. If you're wanting to squeeze every penny until abe's head pops then maybe not.

Either way you would be thrilled with Sean's build, or Calc's build. Both are excellent for games, and if you go with an x6 AMD chip you'll be a bit more future proof.

The only thing I don't like about Sean's build is that the case looks like a pile of ****.

I really don't care about the case, I probably won't be buying one since i have a full tower already. I just wanted to know if the video card used is going to perform well and if i should get the 1366 motherboard and processor.

Crap i forgot to just edit my old post.

Crap i forgot to just edit my old post.

:) Don't worry about it. If someone replies to your post then just go ahead and reply to theirs. The problem comes when you have a bunch of posts with your name. Like Me Me Me Me Me Someone Else Me Me ME. See? It looks bad.

Anyway to answer your question. The video card is going to slaughter any game out on max settings. The processor Sean recommended will keep up with it. If I were you I'd go for the 1366.

Ahh alright, I just want to be set for Starcraft 2, the new fall out game, the new civ game and things in the future like diablo 3. So out of preference should neither of them respond, which would you go with?

the only difference between a intel i7 ( 1366 ) and a i5 ( 1156 ) is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which most people disable anyway on their i7's to get a higher overclock. i wouldnt even consider an AMD build. an intel i5 will kick an AMD's 6 core's *** in any game or applications that you are going to be using, an AMD 6 core has its place, but not in your computer, you wont ever use 6 cores.

EDIT: my build will make star craft andfall out new vegas its *****es

i would personally get a 64-80GB Solid state hard drive as a primary (for os and 1-2 games) and a 32mb cache seagate barracuda as a secondary. (other Games And Media)

^ thats silly... this is a budget build... that would eat up 1/5th of his budget and woulnt get hmi any higher FPS in games...

Alright thanks a bunch sean, so in my gaming pc, a i5 that i could overlock would suit me far better than an i7 for the price and the main difference something I wouldn't even use?

Another thing with that mother board what increments of Ram do I have to add? I'm confused on how that all works. And for this build is it something i can add to in the future to keep it powerful

the only difference between a intel i7 ( 1366 ) and a i5 ( 1156 ) is that the i7 has hyperthreading, which most people disable anyway on their i7's to get a higher overclock. i wouldnt even consider an AMD build. an intel i5 will kick an AMD's 6 core's *** in any game or applications that you are going to be using, an AMD 6 core has its place, but not in your computer, you wont ever use 6 cores.

EDIT: my build will make star craft andfall out new vegas its *****es

^ thats silly... this is a budget build... that would eat up 1/5th of his budget and woulnt get hmi any higher FPS in games...

I don't know what reviews you read but you are sorely mistaken.

Phenom II X6 1055T and 1090T review

The 1055t, 1090t, and i7 950 are **** near identical in terms of performance. The Phenom II x4 965 is right up there with them too.

"will kick an AMD's 6 core's *** in any game or applications"

That's a load of bull ****.

EDIT:

99% of the games out today are bottlenecked by the GPU. And if you lower the resolution to the point where you can see CPU scaling, the FPS is so high that it's meaningless results.
The difference between an i7 965 and a Phenom II x4 965 at very high resolutions is very small. Why? Because these games are limited by the GPU. At the lower resolutions the FPS is high enough that it doesn't make a bit of difference because it's well over 60fps.

Price VS performance is a huge win for AMD, especially with the 6-core chips.
And your statement about the i5 750 was just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom