Build for a Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright i am just getting some info for a friend. The budget is around $580 so it isnt much. But he does a lot of video editing. Right now he is running a dell 4550, 2 gigs of ram, geforce 6200 lol, 2.53 ghz processor.

So what kind of deals and that can we find for someone that uses Adobe AfterEffects and Sony Vegas?

He would like to get at least a Dual Core CPU with 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD and at least an GeForce 8500. I trust you hardware guys since i am only really a software guy. Show me what you can build with these restrictions. Thanks in advance!

No. This is just for the Tower. Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Speakers and all of that are not needed. This is just for the core Tower.

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Video card and processor:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Memory:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

Case + DVD:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Hard Drive + Power supply

Features:
6-cores for video editing raw performance.
4gigs of ram for plenty of headroom when compressing/converting/encoding/rendering larger files.
1tb hard drive for good chunk of storage
Radeon 4650 for medium detail gaming, with 1gb video ram for higher resolution video editing.
DVD burner for burning videos.

Total price : $574 USD. .

For what he is doing this is an excellent build. He could easily upgrade to DDR3, but this DDR2 kit should be more than enough for what he plans to do. The motherboard I chose specifically because it will allow him to easily upgrade to DDR3 without buying a new motherboard. It will play any game out there on medium settings or higher, it has amazing performance with workstation apps (such as video rendering/encoding) plenty of ram, and a nice shiny case.

This build is going to make one **** of a difference in encoding times. If he overclocks this then it'll be even better.

EDIT: In case you were wondering. This little 4650 is going to destroy the performance of a 8500.
The 4650 is going to perform similarly to an 8800gt

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock N68C-S UCC AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Video card and processor:

Memory:
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

Case + DVD:

Hard Drive + Power supply

Features:
6-cores for video editing raw performance.
4gigs of ram for plenty of headroom when compressing/converting/encoding/rendering larger files.
1tb hard drive for good chunk of storage
Radeon 4650 for medium detail gaming, with 1gb video ram for higher resolution video editing.
DVD burner for burning videos.

Total price : $574 USD. .

For what he is doing this is an excellent build. He could easily upgrade to DDR3, but this DDR2 kit should be more than enough for what he plans to do. The motherboard I chose specifically because it will allow him to easily upgrade to DDR3 without buying a new motherboard. It will play any game out there on medium settings or higher, it has amazing performance with workstation apps (such as video rendering/encoding) plenty of ram, and a nice shiny case.

This build is going to make one **** of a difference in encoding times. If he overclocks this then it'll be even better.

EDIT: In case you were wondering. This little 4650 is going to destroy the performance of a 8500.
The 4650 is going to perform similarly to an 8800gt

I can vouch for that motherboard, As I bought it 2 weeks ago. I actually had a higher spec motherboard, but it sadly started to go on it's way out though I'm glad in a way, this motherboard is just **** awesome and i had a phobia of Matx boards! Outstanding performance ,Using it with an Athlon 6000 AM2 CPU and 2gb DDR2 ram, going to upgrade to a phenom x6 1055t myself or a athlon 635, with 4GB of DDR3 Ram.

Nice build btw.

Here is something for your friend mak, I hope you can trust my hardware advice that I will pick out for you.

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX440WFGIBOX
76.00 free shipping

Newegg.com - MSI 760GM-E51 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
69.99 plus 2.99 for shipping

Total comes to 148.99

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100292L Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card
54.99 with free shipping

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

54.99 with free shipping

The total now comes four parts is: 253.96, not bad for a real good deal plus he's getting a tri-core which can be unlocked by the motherboard I picked out for him.
The reason why I picked MSI, because most of their mobo's never gave me trouble except my mom's mobo ****ed up, but msi gladly replaced it for free and that was 3 months before my warranty expired with them.

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Typhoon ATX-312WS Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
39.99 plus 4.99

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply
54.99 plus 1.99
For the case and PSU I owned both of these and my mother loves it, case is super strong but it is durable and easy to work around in while building his machine.

The total now comes to 360.92 without ram.

Last I recommend this mostly because it has never given me any problems and I don't clock it up where it screws up in a few short months

Buy 2 of these at 47.99 with shipping and handling included into the price:
Newegg.com - Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT12864BA1067

The total price for this system if he picks it will be:
409.00 with 3 day select from UPS.
Thats pretty much a very good steal for anybody needing a good system that will last them for the next 1 or 2 years.

Mak, if you see this tell me what you think and show that to your friend as well.

Well since my friend is really strapped for cash he has said he is interested in going for the build by MikeFuryXP. But of course the catch is that he can't come up with the money for at least a month. Even then it might only be half. So i will have to come back once he has it all together and see if there is any deals going on around that time to help him get a build together.

Thats fine by us, if he's ready by the second week of september I'm sure newegg will be trying to get rid of stock of their items for newer ones that will arrive late this year.

Man there are a lot of combo deals with the Phenom II x4 955 BE that essentially are barebones systems for a great price I don't even know where to start. For lowest price, check this out: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! this is CPU, mobo, RAM, and HDD for $390. And all good stuff too- DDR3 1600 MHz, 750 GB HDD, Phenom II 955 BE, and 880G chipset. then PSU+Case: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! this is $100 for Rosewill 750W PSU and Challenger case. Then ODD of your choice is going to run around $20 and finally ATI Radeon HD 5570 w/1GB DDR3: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100293DP Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card w/ Eyefinity this is $85 putting the total build (before shipping) at $593

He wants to try and keep it below $400 now. As they just got into a car accident recently and got 1 of their cars totaled. So having to buy a new car so he can get to work has really put a damper on his upgrade possibilities. He knows that he can swing $200 from the settlement and save up another $200 or so in a couple of checks. but going for the big build is out of the question now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom