Building First Computer - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjohn

Beta member
Hi all! Due to some unexpected financial aid, I now have about $1,500 to drop down on a computer. I did a little googling and came up with some ideas (listed below). I am just now trying to learn what all the tech jargon and inane seeming numbers mean, so try to keep it simple for me, please. The computer will be used primarily for gaming (I play pretty much everything and want those settings on high :tongue:). I'd like it to last as many years as it can (even if just through being upgradeable). This is what I was thinking:

Processor: Intel core i7 930
Motherboard: Asus p6t LGA 1366
Ram: corsair core i7 dominator 6g - tri channel
Graphics Card: Diamond Radeon HD 5850
Power: Cooler Master RS650-acaae3
Hard Drive: western digital caviar green 1tb
some random dvd drive
case: cooler master HAF 932 full tower

Besides just general input, let me know if anything is incompatible, if the power supply is too weak, if I don't need a full tower case, can get same quality parts for cheaper, etc.

Thanks for the help.

As far as upgradability goes, you're not going to find much. The AM3 platform (AMD) is at the end of its life, and Intel is well known for going through platforms like changing socks. This is a bad time to buy for upgradability, so I suggest getting the best you can possibly get.

That being said, this build looks pretty good. It depends on what sort of deals you found, but it looks solid. What is the total cost? We might be able to save you some money on a few parts, and upgrade a few in the process.

Actually, everyone thinks that the 1366 platform is the best longterm solution. Mainly due to the 930 being the btm of the list, and the top right now being some very good chips BUT very pricey.

youre builds good, but for the green drive. Green becomes green by saving energy and so it shuts off when idled, which means its gotta spin back up everytime. Grab the samne drive but in blue version, or black version for super speed.... Keep the green if its only storage though, and not OS.

After changing the Hard Drive to WESTERN DIGITAL WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB and adding an LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive, the total comes up to 1234.97 (going through mrrebates.com). As far as cutting price ('cause I love my moneys), Corsair seems to be an expensive brand; are there any cheaper, quality products that will work the same? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

If you want future-proof and don't mind waiting a little while, both AMD and Intel are working on some new products. AMD's ATI Radeon HD6k and 7k series GPUs will be out soon, and both AMd and Intel are working on their Phenom III's and i9's (respectively) which will be out relatively soon. I don't think that there is a definite release date for any of these, but I think that the HD 6k will be out around october/november and the i9 and HD7k are supposed to be released early next year. I have yet to find any official information about the Phenom III series. Personally, I don't think i could wait until next year for the i9 and 7k but i don't know, maybe that's just me.

feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken.

After changing the Hard Drive to WESTERN DIGITAL WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB and adding an LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive, the total comes up to 1234.97 (going through mrrebates.com). As far as cutting price ('cause I love my moneys), Corsair seems to be an expensive brand; are there any cheaper, quality products that will work the same? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

You get what you pay for. Yha Corsair are pricey, but you can push them more, and be comfortable they'll not blow.

With psus, Watts aren't the only number... Amps are just as important. A corsair 650tx is 650W 52Amps, cheaper models will be 45A or about.

Check the psu list stickied at the top of this forum for other reputable brands... Be warned though, they are usually the same price range...

I'd try pricing out the build through newegg. They have alot of savings inhouse plus mir. You could easily find unknown discounts to save cash.

Oh redfish.. the i9s are technically out....... its the 980x i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom