Looking for an Affordable Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
I'm looking to buy a laptop a few years from now, but I'm trying to figure out how to get the most possible on a (relatively) limited budget.

What I'm looking for is a laptop that can play games like Crysis at high settings (that is, 1280x1024 with shadows and HDR) at at least 25 fps and can be bought at under $1000. I would also like the laptop to be future-friendly--that is, I would like to be able to keep it for quite a few years and still be able to update it to keep it fairly modern (without having to buy several completely new laptops).

So, a laptop under $1000 that can play Crysis at 25 fps and can be upgraded well into the future. Is it possible to find something like this?

I've heard from a few sources that building a custom machine can be a lot less expensive than buying one prebuilt. (And I think that prebuilt laptops are usually either affordable with a pathetic GPU or crazily expensive with a high-end GPU. Mainstream laptops and gaming laptops, and nothing in between.) Is it true that I could custom-build a laptop like the one I want for less money than would be needed to buy it prebuilt?

If you want to buy it a few years from now, your hardware will change drastically.
You cannot play Crysis on a laptop.
Under $1,000? Gaming laptops go for $1,500+
There is little you can update on a laptop. All you can upgrade is the RAM and HDD. Laptops have a limit on the amount and speed of RAM.
You can't build your own laptop. There is ways to do it, but you will get less performance and cost a **** lot more. This is a laptop, not a desktop.

Yeah, I'm planning on buying it a few years from now. It has to do with budget and life situation. And I know that hardware will be much different a few years in the future; the point is, if it's around now and is affordable for me, chances are it will be even more affordable in a few years.

Why are you saying that you "can't" play Crysis on a laptop? Are you saying there's something about mobile computers that makes Crysis crash or simply refuse to run, always? And I'm not looking for a gaming laptop. I'm no hardcore gamer, but I want to be able to at least run games like Crysis at a playable speed, 25-30 fps at least, instead of the 10-15 I get on my desktop PC.

Sources that claim you can run Crysis on a laptop:
GameSpot Forums - PC & Mac Games - Can I run Crysis on laptop?
The Gateway P-6831 FX: A Great Crysis-Capable Laptop for Less | N4G
WikiAnswers - What is the best gaming laptop for Crysis (I know it's a gaming laptop, but it's still a laptop.)

Why can't you update things on a laptop? If you can buy laptop video cards from nVidia and ATI, it seems like it would be possible to install those video cards on laptops. Isn't it just a matter of taking the old video card out and putting the new one in? (I understand that with many prebuilt laptops, the video card is integrated and cannot be removed. Isn't an integrated card avoidable, though?)

This is one of the sources that says it can be less expensive to build a custom laptop.
http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop
With a thirst for challenge and a $1,400 budget, you can assemble a speedy, well-equipped mobile machine that performs better and costs less than many comparable pre-built systems.
(I know that mentions a $1,400 budget, but maybe it would be possible for less?)

I'm not trying to contradict you--I appreciate that you took the time to post advice. I'm just surprised at your response and am wondering what your reasoning is.

Considering it is a few years off (the purchase) I would wait until then before asking for opinions, advice, etc. Technology, especially computer tech changes so drastically within a few years time that any advice or opinion will be useless by then.

As Kmote said, you can configure some aspects of the laptop on some manufacturers websites but thats about it. You have the option for whether you want a 2.4ghz or 3.1 ghz, 2 or 4 gigs of ram, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom