Upgrading processors. AMD Quad Core. Why buy 965? Is 940 a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1055T on an ASUS M4A88TD-V Evo/USB3 mobo that I have successfully OC'd to 4.2 GHz with the ASUS TurboV Evo software that came with the mobo. I was running it with the stock HSF and saw idle temps of ~35 degrees. My CPU voltage is set at 1.275V, CPU frequency 249 MHz and Core multiplier was at 16. I am currently running the same setup but with a lower multiplier.

Run super pi and post your results. Also, 1.275v for 4.2ghz? Was it stable? That seems kind of low.

The temps on these chips are amazing. Mine is idling at 26c. I'll look for a good inexpensive ASUS or MSI board to overclock with.

17.886s @ 3.4ghz. That's not bad at all. If you look at the Official Tech-Forums Super Pi top list, everything around this time in AMD is 3.9ghz+
It's Turbo Core.
If you haven't disabled it (some boards actually can't), it will clock between one and three cores higher when there is a higher load.
If it's clocking one core higher, the increase is 500MHz - so the core that superpi is running on is actually running >3.9GHz (superpi uses one core)

Also, some boards don't report voltages correctly when you use a Thuban chip. A BIOS update *may* fix that (depending on the board)

As far as good inexpensive boards go, I like the Gigabyte 790X boards.
If you get one that has 10 chokes for the CPU and northbridge/HTT (8 for CPU, 2 for NB/HTT), and heatsinks for the MOSFET's and chipset, it will do pretty well.

I can disable it actually, that might be a good idea. I'm suprised I didn't think of it before, I mean I took a second and fooled around with the option in bios for a few seconds and then never thought about it.
That might explain why the system is stable at 3.6~ghz until I run something demanding, and then *click* it's off. Might have something to do with Turbo Core giving a few cores extra voltage and pushing me over the limit. I'll play with it again in a bit.

How does this one look? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130265&cm_re=790x-_-13-130-265-_-Product

It's okay, not great.
It only has 5 chokes for the CPU/NB
It's enough to get a decent overclock, but it will be limiting if you want to get the absolute most you can

This board is pretty good if you want to push things hard:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

How many chokes does that Gigabyte have?
I'm at 3.64ghz 1.432v currently with Turbo Core off. It seems fine so far but I'll know for sure once I run LinX. I'm kind of scared to even try. If I can't get it stable at 3.64 I'm just going to leave everything at stock and wait for a new motherboard.

I kind of want to get a motherboard with DDR2 slots because I just got this DDR2 memory in, and I'd hate to have to sell it.

EDIT: I said I'm scared to try but the temps are fine (~40c load), and if something breaks it's not likely to be the CPU. Although I just spend $200 for this processor and I would really hate to screw it up.
I'm pretty sure that if anything decides to fail it's going to be this motherboard for me having demanded so much from it.

EDIT: It failed again. *click* off.
I'll just leave it at stock for now and get a new motherboard. How frustrating!

I have to say though, for someone that doesn't want to overclock, or doesn't want to push it far. This motherboard is absolutely worth the $55 I paid for it. (that's including shipping, new)
Get what ya pay for :p This board does everything you need it to.....except overclock...

The 890XA-UD3 has 10 chokes for the CPU and NB/HTT (8 for the CPU, 2 for the NB/HTT)

Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of AM2+ boards at newegg anymore
I was using a MA790X-UD4P when I used DDR2, which is pretty good.

^^what do u mean by chokes?

also, i say 965. Get's u closer to 4.0GHz anyways. If u want the best of the best, get the highest 6-core Phenom II.

^^what do u mean by chokes?

also, i say 965. Get's u closer to 4.0GHz anyways. If u want the best of the best, get the highest 6-core Phenom II.

I guess you weren't paying attention. I'm using a Phenom II x6 1055t. I bought it last Friday.
The x6 are more likely to hit a higher clock than the quad Phenoms because of the low-k dielectrics they used. (This is a near quote from Apokalipse)

The Chokes are what regulate the power to the CPU. I thought I knew how many this board has, but clearly Apokalipse has a better understanding. They are the little black squares located near the CPU socket.

Also, my problem overclocking isn't with the CPU. The problem I'm experiencing is power related. I'm not sure how the chokes come in to play other than they regulate the current going to the CPU socket. Perhaps Apokalipse can give us some insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom