Ridiculously Slow Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingmetalx

Solid State Member
I play Novalogic's "Delta Force 2" almost everyday and use only a 56k connection and AOL (yeah, I know). But, a problem arose a few days ago that whenever I was playing, I would lag like crap! I know, 56k will lag anyways, but this was ridiculous! The game would stop for a few seconds and then start again. Also, my regular internet was much much slower. I connect at a rate of 49333.....but when I download something, it only downloads at like 2 to 2.5kbps when I normally can get about 5 to 6kbps. I know for sure it is not my ISP, spyware, or a virus because I've changed internets to Earthlink and even reformatted and scanned with numerous spyware and anti-virus softwares.

I decided to ask help from the AOL techies and they said that out of my 256Mb RAM, my computer is only allowing about 65% of it??? They gave me a list of stuff to do like spyware, defrag, clear cache and delete temp and cookies...but NOTHING is working. Could I need a new graphics card or memory card? This sucks so bad because my computer worked FINE before. Please help :(

Here are some of my computer specs:

TotalDiskDrives=4
DiskDrive0=Floppy Drive A:
DiskDrive1=HardDiskDrive C: FreeSpace: 111944 MB , TotalSpace: 114400 MB
DiskDrive2=CD-ROM Drive D:
DiskDrive3=CD-ROM Drive E:
Processor=x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
PageFileUsage= 68% free
Memory=256 MB total ( 55% load)
OS=Windows XP (Build 2600) Service Pack 1
Video=800 x 600 , True Color (32 bit)
Browser=Microsoft IE Build 6.0.2800.1106
Multimedia=CD-ROM , Sound

NumSessions=4, 4, 4
NumAbnExits=25.0%, 0.0%, 0.0%
InstallDate=10/22/04
OrigVersion=4156.911a
SessionSpeed=49333 bps
Version=AOL 16.4156.5001 US (a)
AppFolder=C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0
DataFolder=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0
Memory=256 MB total ( 55% load)
PageFileUsage= 100% free
FreeDiskSpace= 111944 MB
Video=800 x 600 , True Color (32 bit)

CurCache=480 KB
MaxCache=1024 KB
TopSpeedCache=256 MB

CommPortName=COM3
ModemName=Conexant HSF V92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem

ECF8
MaxBaud=The port is busy, can not detect Maximum speed.

script1=22:31:40 10/22/04 C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL\C_America Online 9.0\TOD\3420.phx
success1=1

Device1=Conexant HSF V92 56K RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem on COM3, Default Device, ModemSetupString: AT&FW2S6=5S7=60S10=15+MS=V90,0;, PPPSetupString:

CPUMake=Intel P4
CPUSpeed=2099
USB=Detected

it mainly has to do with your telephone lines especially if the lines are old either in your house or going to your house. i'm suspecting that your lines are at least 10 years old.

The noise on the line as well as the modem and modem drivers can be an issue. But the most common cause is line noise, nothing you can do about that. Dude, get something higher then 56k! There's high speed internet out there for the same price as AOHell or EarthLink!

Cheers!

gabe said:
The noise on the line as well as the modem and modem drivers can be an issue. But the most common cause is line noise, nothing you can do about that. Dude, get something higher then 56k! There's high speed internet out there for the same price as AOHell or EarthLink!

Cheers!

Not if you live in the sticks like I do ;o)

gabe said:
Then make your OWN ISP, link up multiple 56k modems, do something!

Man, this wouldn't get me very far. I have a fixed wireless system that is great when the weather is ideal, but when it's not I have to go back to dial-up with which I usually only connect at 14.4 or 19.2. How might I get around it. You said something about creating my own ISP. How might I do this?

You seriously dont have any High Speed Providers? - I was joking, but I know there's a way (way way way outdated way) of compining multiple 56k modems to get 56k*(n) where n is the number of modems.

gabe said:
You seriously dont have any High Speed Providers? - I was joking, but I know there's a way (way way way outdated way) of compining multiple 56k modems to get 56k*(n) where n is the number of modems.

We do have Cox communications, but they refuse to bring the line up my driveway. I could pay them $600 to do it, but I don't have that kind of money right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom