Upgrading processors. AMD Quad Core. Why buy 965? Is 940 a better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD has such high yields that there's usually hardly any difference between most of their processors using the same die.
It's the same reason most X2's will successfully unlock.

I think AMD probably has even better yields than Intel (they actually produce wafers with 100% working dies sometimes) - Although that may be because they have to really; they don't have nearly as many fabs as Intel, so they make the most of what they have.

Anyway, the 940 is AM2+ only, and only comes in C2 stepping.
The 955 and 965 are AM3/AM2+ and come in C2 and C3 stepping (C2 chips have an I in the model, C3 chips have an M in the model)
C3 chips tend to overclock about 200MHz more than C2 chips at the same volts.

What motherboard and RAM do you have?
You would at least need a good motherboard if you want to get the 1055T over 4GHz - one which can reach high HTT speeds.
The 1090T is the only Thuban chip with an unlocked multiplier so far.

I have an ASRock n68-s UCC motherboard. It's a budget board, and I don't expect an extreme overclock. However, I hope to see a decent result. I'll find out tomorrow. Luckily I am off work and the chip should arrive somewhere around 1 or 2pm, so I'll have plenty of time to play with it and post some results.

The memory is Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 4-4-4-12. I hope to push it to around DDR2 950 (475mhz) 4-4-4-12, or DDR2 1150 (575mhz) 5-5-5-15. Again, I'm not expecting a huge overclock but I'll find out tomorrow.

As for the 1090t being the only Thuban with an unlocked multi; I know. I am going to push the HTT as high as possible.

Just for reference, I have pushed 300mhz HTT on this board with 12 multi on an Athlon II x2 240. So I know the board can handle a high HTT, it's the ability of the board to supply enough power to this new 6-core that has me worried. Also, my voltage is limited to 1.55v, so that might be a limiting factor as well.

I was looking for the power regulation for the CPU, and it looks rather absent. 3 chokes total for the NB/HTT, CPU and IGP?
I think it would struggle to even provide enough power if you want to run at >4GHz let alone have stable enough regulation.
N68-S%20UCC(m).jpg

Apokalipse is right. I'm not going to get much out of this motherboard.
I've been having problems left and right. Even at 3.6~ghz.
I'm pretty sure it's a power issue. I'll try and get a new motherboard next week.

Can you recommend a decent and inexpensive motherboard?

I am at 3.4GHz currently, and I'm seeing some good results. I'm going to take it an inch at a time until I get my max stable OC on this board, but I do not expect 4ghz, or even close to it to be honest.

spi.jpg

I had to open a game to get CPU-z to report correctly. I guess I should have marked over my name to hide my identity, but I'm not terribly worried about it.
This is an impressive result for 3.4ghz! 18 seconds @ 3.4 means that unless I hit some sort of crazy performance wall, I should have no problems getting a top 3 spot with this thing.

Time will tell. Will I be able to take top 3 in AMD super pi with less than 4ghz? That would definitely be impressive, but only time will tell.

Back to the BIOS for me! Tweak time!

EDIT:

Played around with my memory timings a bit, and I shaved off a bit of time in Spi.

17886.jpg

17.886s @ 3.4ghz. That's not bad at all. If you look at the Official Tech-Forums Super Pi top list, everything around this time in AMD is 3.9ghz+

I wonder if my memory settings are the reason I'm getting decent times in Spi. Isn't this a little odd that at 3.4ghz this chip is running like the quads at 3.9?
Could it be my memory? Or perhaps this is the 6-core thing living up to its name?

Maybe I'm just trippin'.. I'll tweak more later. Time for food.

Update:

Even at stock settings I notice a huge difference in the responsiveness of my system going from that PII dual core to this PII hexa core.
I can't comment on the performance differences between this thing and the i7s, but I can say that with my 4870 and this chip, everything is smooth as silk maxed out.
Starcraft 2 would begin lagging (by lagging I mean <30fps) with my PII x2, and I haven't noticed any slowdowns with this one. Even when the screen is full of units exploding it's smooth.
This is with everything at ultra + 4xaa 16xaf 1600x1200 FYI.

I'm pleased :) Now if I could just get this ****** motherboard to supply it some power long enough to run a few benchmarks I'll be happy.

I have a 1055T on an ASUS M4A88TD-V Evo/USB3 mobo that I have successfully OC'd to 4.2 GHz with the ASUS TurboV Evo software that came with the mobo. I was running it with the stock HSF and saw idle temps of ~35 degrees. My CPU voltage is set at 1.275V, CPU frequency 249 MHz and Core multiplier was at 16. I am currently running the same setup but with a lower multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom