How long do LCD monitors typically last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think the LCD panel itself will greatly outlive the backlight, the component that will die first will most always be either the backlight inverter or the backlight bulb. Inverters are easily replaced in many cases and inside of that it's usually capacitors (or "caps") that fail so that one component can be replaced to keep the monitor going. I would think that the LCD panel would last much longer than 100,000 hours, it doesn't really wear out under use and isn't put under much stress.

An LED backlit LCD should last much longer (LED's last practically forever, they don't "burn out" like other lights do, just get dimmer over time, they only burn out under excessive voltage/current).

Also, LCD TV's and PC monitors are one in the same, both consist of an LCD panel (a glass panel with liquid crystal material in it and ribbon cables to attach circuitry along the edges), some filters/polarizers that go behind or in front of the panel, and some sort of backlight (most monitors/TV's use small fluorescent tubes, bigger displays use more tubes, smaller ones use only one or two [most monitors use either one or two, TV's sometimes more]). If the backlight is fluorescent (or electroluminescent) it needs an inverter to step up the low voltage to high voltage that drives the light. This circuit is under fairly high stress compared to the rest of the monitor and is one of the first components to fail. LED backlit TV's and monitors do not have an inverter (LED's run at low voltage) and thus do not have this failure issue.

Well Said. I can't say I have ever had an LCD fail from an inverter. However the policy at my current place of employment and the previous both involved users logging off their machines and turning off the monitors at the end of the day. The machines weren't shut down as we use the night hours to push updates to them. But most monitors get a good night sleep. Windows also has power saving mode enabled by default. I actually lose video cards to hardware failure more than monitors.

Scott Lagerbom wrote------ We have ones that are 10 years old. We currently own about 100 in the company. We started buying them about 10 years ago and have had less than 10 die in that time.

Seems pretty good, $100 for a 3 year old monitor is pretty good for you and the new one is better with full 1080p resolution. I upgraded from a 1680x1050 to 3 1920x1080 monitors but even just one 1920x1080 has a good bit of extra room over the 1680x1050.

Samsungs will have a bit of a premium, but they make out and out the best panels. if you want a Samsung but don't want to pay the price buy a dell monitor. They use the same panels, but the housings aren't as fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom