Mozilla to Bring Auto-Updating to Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Mozilla to Bring Auto-Updating to Firefox

Taking cues from Chrome and Internet Explorer, Firefox 4 will install automatic updates silently in the background. Only major version updates will be announced. Installing security patches and other minor tweaks behind the scenes without user input or notification will cut down on complaints, while also keeping browsers as current as possible.

Unlike Chrome, however, Firefox's auto-update mechanism can be turned off by users who would rather be able to manually control update installation. In this instance, "We will also be able to prompt the user if they haven't restarted in a very long time and there is a particularly bad security vulnerability that needto be patched," said Faaborg. This is a concession to the fact that some users are uneasy about giving software companies free reign to install software on their PCs without explanation or even notification.

I was under the impression it did this already? Like, you're just using it and it pops up saying 'Firefox has been updated, click here to restart' kinda thing.

That is mainly for the extensions. I have seen the pop up come for Firefox saying there is a new version and asking if i wanted to update. Maybe it was just my settings, but that to me is the way to go.

I like the idea and I hope FF4 isn't so much of a resource hog... I've switched to Chrome for now which isn't too bad.

Chrome can eat up RAM just as much as FF. Have to remember each plugin you install for Chrome will create another chrome.exe in the task manager and have its own amount of resources allotted for it. So if you run an abnormally high amount of extensions, you are using just as much resources without even opening a page.

Firefox 4 usage has dropped, but not to the point that it is needed to be at.

Extensions pop up with updates, but my FF seems to update in the background already :confused:. Like I'll be using it as normal, then a pop up shows the updated version and says it will update upon next fresh start :confused:. Can't remember if I changed the settings to make that happen, as by checking it now it has the option to automatically download the update and install it...or ask if you would like to update.

That is the normal behavior. I think you got this confused in a way. The new feature will auto update Firefox. Meaning it will just update the program and not notify you that it has updated. Meaning that if some extensions are not compatible, when you start up Firefox they wont be functional and you wonder why. It wont be till you check the Extensions to see that Firefox has been updated and that is why when you started the extensions are not working and you will either have to force them to work or find an update for them.

The old way you get prompted and you can choose when to update. So if the extension you are using isnt compatible you dont have to update at that time. So you can pick and choose when to update. The new way will mean that it will just update and forget all about extension compatibility. Causing issues for users who wont understand why their extensions are not working. Causing more topics to come up on sites such as ours saying "Hey my extension isnt working why?" and the first response from us will be, "There was an update released yesterday, did you check to make sure that the extension is compatible with the new version?".

See the difference?

Oh thanks for the clarification, understood now :). From the example and logic, the old way seems better...why would they implement a new way which would make more questions arise :confused:...to me that's just thinking backwards.

Chrome does it this way right now. If you think about IE does as well. As IE will auto update via Windows Update without prompting you first. If you have it set to install them without asking that is.

They figure that this is the better way to go to make sure people are running the latest version and the most secure version of their browser. Most of the problems people have with getting their system hijacked is from using out dated browsers that have such flaws that allow such things. Taking the responsibility out of the end users hand and forcing the update removes at least 1 security risk.

So in a way it is good, in a way it is bad. For us geeks it is bad. But think of how many parents or other people who are not tech savvy who install Firefox cause of all the talk about it and never bother to install an update. How insecure are their systems after 6 months? how about 2 years?

So you see there is a reason to the logic of it. It just isnt for us geeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom