IRQ Mis-Assigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smack

Baseband Member
So basically I'm trying to install a TP-Link Wireless PCI Card to my parents computer, since their USB Wireless Dongle recently died. After installing the card and the driver and utilities, I realised there was some IRQs assigned wrongly due to them not having correct drivers. So I uninstalled the card and remove the drivers/utilities and sorted out the drivers that weren't there. I finally reinstalled the Wireless PCI Card, the drivers and the utilities, and there is a different clash of IRQs now. Windows has assigned IRQ 11 to a Nvidia nForce PCI System Management, and that is the IRQ that the Wireless Card tries to grab every single time, even if I change PCI slot.

Now I've done a bit more research and the computer is ACPI, so I believe the only way to re-arrange the IRQs is to reinstall XP on it and force it to accept IRQs being changed. I'm hoping that someone here who's got a ton more experience with computers than myself, can help, since my knowledge of computers isn't a lot, though I like to think I'm good enough to sort out most problems my parents have.

Any help that saves me having to uninstall XP will be massively appreciated.

~ Smack

Are you sure you're using the correct driver? It sounds as if you're not. TP-link (apparently) seems to be aware that their initial drivers didn't work well with Win7. Have a look Compatibility With Windows 7

Make 100% certain that the card is using the correct driver. Not a driver similar, but the exact driver.

Congratulations on finding an IRQ conflict. That's seriously impressive that anyone even remembers what they are. IRQ conflicts disappeared (mostly) with Windows 95, and they have been almost non existant with WinXP and on. People these days don't understand the joys of setting DMA 3, IRQ 7, I/O 03F6H-03F6H manually with jumpers on an ATA-33 ISA hard drive controller. That whole ****** card was a bunch of jumpers, and good luck figuring out the manual. Not to mention you'd have to edit Autoexec.bat and Config.sys with the appropriate information for certain cards.

The real pros could type that crap out manually. Setblaster a220 i5 d1 t4 :)
I forgot the one for CD rom. MSCDEX ...something..

Anyway I'm getting off track here. Try making sure you're using the right drivers, it sounds like you're not. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :)

I'm using the exact driver that comes with the CD, so I don't think that's the issue to be honest. The desktop isn't Windows 7 so that shouldn't really affect it. I've got 2 PCI slots on the motherboard too, so I shouldn't really have conflicted IRQs. :/

Other than having to re-install windows to force through the change via removing ASCH (Forgot the name of the top of my head), I have no idea what else to try. :/

If I were you I would update the driver. The drivers included on CDs are usually not the latest, and I hardly ever use them for anything. Especially with new Video/Sound cards.
Maybe someone else will come along with some advice on forcing the IRQ change in WinVista or whatever you're using. I would try different drivers first.

I've downloaded the latest drivers onto my laptop and it's still going to IRQ 11, which is being used by the SM Bus Controller, so not really something I can remove to be honest.

I've tried going into the BIOS and reserving IRQ 11, but that's pushed both of the drivers (PCI Wireless Card and the SM Bus Controller) to IRQ 15. I also still have IRQ 14 free, yet it's automatically assigning them both to IRQ 11, which I just can't seem to comprehend why. I'm tempted to remove the SM Bus Controller drivers, then re-install and see if that one changes, but I know the SM Bus is important for regulating temperatures inside the PC.. :/

Anyone else got any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom