Dual boot with SSD/HHD dual drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadian89

Beta member
I have recently purchased a new computer with a 160 GB SSD and a 250 GB HDD. I want to be able to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu with this new computer in the most efficient way using both drives. Could somebody lay out the best way to partition each drive and where to install each OS, along with corresponding locations for games/programs/documents/etc. Does anyone have a setup that works great for them on a similar machine?

Partition the SSD in to two 80GB partitions, and install each OS onto one of those partitions. Use the HDD to share files between the two OSs (I do this with all my music and video), and for storage etc. - both OSs will be able to use this drive.

I have this setup with two 40GB partitions on my 80GB drive, and my 640GB for storage.

Thanks a ton, but what about the HDD? I know its more important to partition a hard disk than a solid state, what is the best option in terms of how many partitions/what to save in which partition, etc.

I just have the one partition on my storage drive; I've never seen any need to have multiple partitions.

However, you might want to have a Storage partition, and another partition for programs etc. for each OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom