Building computer for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephvai

Solid State Member
Hey guys I am building my computer for the first and it is not booting.

specs:

PSU COOLMASTER|RS-460-PSAR-J3 RT
HD 500G|SEAGATE ST3500418AS %
DVD BURNER SAMSUNG | SH-S223C %
VGA HIS|H577FK1GD HD5770 RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 760 2.80G R
MEM RAM 2Gx2|GEIL GV34GB1600C9DC RT
MB EVGA 120-LF-E651-TR P55 RT
CASE ROSEWILL | BLACKBONE RT

When I try to boot my computer the fan spin for a sec and then they stop, everything seems to be connected well, and I tried switching the rams around but still no luck. I followed the instructions in the manual. Help. I also have nothing in the intruder slot, and serial A

Make sure you have all of these power connectors connected:
- The 8-pin (or 4-pin) CPU connector.
- The 24-pin motherboard connector.
- The 6- or 8-pin connector for the HD5770.

Try one stick of RAM at a time to see if the RAM is the cause - and make sure that you are putting the RAM in the correct slots, according to your motherboard's manual. Usually they are colour-coded, and you need to have the RAM in the correct colour slot(s).

Oh, and just to check - have you installed the stand-offs (those little screws that also have screw-holes at the other end of them) that go between the motherboard and the case?

I don't have a 24 pin connector it is only 20 pins on my power supply for some reason

Looking at the images of your motherboard on NewEgg (Newegg.com - EVGA P55V 120-LF-E651-TR LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, I believe), I think that your board needs a 24-pin connector. In which case, if your power supply doesn't have a 24-pin power connector, then I'm afraid it just isn't going to work. You'll need to get a power supply which does have one.

Edit: According to NewEgg, your power supply (Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply, I believe) has a 20+4-pin connector. There might be a separate cable with the other 4 pins.

Edit2: Now looking at the images for your power supply on NewEgg, I can see the 20-pin connector, and a separate 4-pin connector; they should be attached by a ziptie somewhere along the 20-pin cable.

are you sure thats the problem?

Ok thanks I fixed that problem but now my computer boots and shuts down right away

It boots shuts down and resets right away

See both of my edits ^

Now, does it do anything before shutting down? Are you able to enter the BIOS (usually by pressing F9 or DEL or F10)?

Am I sepose to put anything in the atx cpu slot
Is that the one that's either 4 pins or 8 pins? It should be close to the CPU socket.

I find it hard to believe that you're following the instructions, if you failed to plug in the CPU power connector.

Sorry, I found the pin connector part confusing, that's the only part I got really lost. WHen I put in a 4pin close to the spu socket it does not boot up at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom