Replacing video card on Dell 4600. Will I have an issue with my power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyberTiger

Solid State Member
I have a Dell 4600. The old video card died on me. This computer has an AGP 1x/4x/8x video card slot and the card that died is a DELL 8Y485 NVIDIA NV18 64MB AGP. The Dell System Info shows this card to be an 8x AGP card. This computer has a 250 watt power supply. I'd like to replace the old card with this GeForce 6200 512MB DDR2 AGP 8x Graphics Card. Is this going to be a problem if I do not upgrade the power supply? I am not a gamer and only plan on using the computer to surf the internet and for email. I assume that with light duty work the graphics card will not consume as much power? I do not have any other cards plugged into my PCI slots and I only have one hard disk drive.

p.s. while i can replace the old video card by ordering an old used card of the same type i need to get my computer up and running immediately. i can buy the GeForce 6200 locally and would not have to wait on snail mail.

Buy the card, install it, see if the PC works, If you're only surfing the internet, then it won't stress the PSU anyway. I think It'll be fine. Worst case scenario it isnt, but then you can just upgrade the PSU.

Thanks for the reply. I plugged in the new card without upgrading the power supply. Its working fine without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom