Video card + Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle52

Beta member
I am building a gaming PC and have decided I might need a more powerful video card. I was planning on getting Buy the XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIe w/EyeFinity at TigerDirect.ca But I realize it might just be best to spend the extra 150 and get Newegg.ca - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity Any thoughts?

This is the rest of my rig if anyone is wondering.

Processor Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
Optical Drive Newegg.ca - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support
Monitor Newegg.ca - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers
Power Supply Newegg.ca - Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Keyboard Newegg.ca - Saitek PZ30AUR 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Red Backlit Keyboard
Mouse Buy the Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse at TigerDirect.ca
Hard Drive Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Operating system Buy the Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT - OEM DVD at TigerDirect.ca
Ram Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
Video Card Buy the XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIe w/EyeFinity at TigerDirect.ca
Mother Board Buy the Intel H55HC Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca
Case Newegg.ca - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Wireless Networking Buy the Hiro H50069 PCI Wireless Network Adapter at TigerDirect.ca

The whole rig is about $250 more than I wanted to spend but I figure go big or go home right? :p

EDIT whoops for got to add the heat sink for the CPU http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

What games do you plan on playing?
If the games aren't too graphics intensive, the upgrade probably wouldn't be worth the extra money.

Spend the extra cash on an i7 with a motherboard to match instead of the video card. The video card can be upgraded later, and ATI is coming out with a new GPU at the end of this year/beginning of next. The i5 750 doesn't have many options for upgrades. Getting an i7 is a better use of your money than a 5850.

Spend the extra cash on an i7 with a motherboard to match instead of the video card. The video card can be upgraded later, and ATI is coming out with a new GPU at the end of this year/beginning of next. The i5 750 doesn't have many options for upgrades. Getting an i7 is a better use of your money than a 5850.

Wow, this advice is the complete opposite of what I have been reading in my research. The best way to improve a gaming PC is to get a better GPU, not get a bigger processor. Why buy a GPU today and plan on buying a new one in less than 6 months? With the 5850 he will see a big improvement in FPS over the 5770.

Wow, this advice is the complete opposite of what I have been reading in my research. The best way to improve a gaming PC is to get a better GPU, not get a bigger processor. Why buy a GPU today and plan on buying a new one in less than 6 months? With the 5850 he will see a big improvement in FPS over the 5770.

Did you bother reading what I said? The new ATI cards are coming very soon. By the beginning of next year. What this means is that the new Northern Islands and Southern Islands GPUs will push the prices down for the rest of the cards. The 5850 will no longer be $300. It will be more like $150 or $200 and the newer, faster, and most likely more efficient NI or SI midrange card is most likely going to stomp the performance of a 5870 with a cost that is less.

He will see a large improvement with an I7 as well, and it doesn't make a whole **** of a lot of sense to invest in a $300 video card when 6 months from now it will be old news.

My advice to kyle is to upgrade the processor and hold off on the video card. Good things are coming soon.

The 5850 will no longer be $300. It will be more like $150 or $200 and the newer, faster, and most likely more efficient NI or SI midrange card is most likely going to stomp the performance of a 5870 with a cost that is less.

He will see a large improvement with an I7 as well, and it doesn't make a whole **** of a lot of sense to invest in a $300 video card when 6 months from now it will be old news.

My advice to kyle is to upgrade the processor and hold off on the video card. Good things are coming soon.

From what I have read, the I7 has minimal improvement for today's games since they don't utilize the multi-thread technology.

It looks like kyle52 wants to buy a computer now, not in 6 months, and he still needs a video card. I guess it depends on how often you want to buy/upgrade.

Kyle52, if you want as great system today, get the 5850. If you want to listen to Rich and chase the latest technology, and keep getting the latest thing every 6 months, then buy an ok card today and I guess buy an ok card in 6 months, and probably keep repeating it every 6 months after that.

I really want a good computer now so I think I'll go with your advice Nixxxon. I appreciate the savings idea though rich.

Honestly Rish is 100% right he was trying to future proof your setup to the best of its ability and even without the gpu you could still run games well enough to enjoy until you got a new card.

Kyle52, if you want as great system today, get the 5850. If you want to listen to Rich and chase the latest technology, and keep getting the latest thing every 6 months, then buy an ok card today and I guess buy an ok card in 6 months, and probably keep repeating it every 6 months after that.

It has nothing to do with the latest technology.
It's making sure he has the ability to run anything and everything for several years to come rather than 1 or 2
and I imagine this kind of attitude your throwing is not welcome to most of our members. Try and speak rationally and civil.

there wouldn't really be a huge difference with an i5+5770 vs an i7+5770.

if everyone was worried about the next gpu's coming out in the next 6 months, nobody would ever buy anything. when has that not been the case, there's always going to be something bigger and better coming in the next few months with pc's.

IMO, go with the 5850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom