I could use some advice on a laptop purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpman8

Beta member
I am looking to buy a new laptop for graduate school.

Price range up to $1000, preferably as low as possible but if it's well worth it, I by no means have a problem spending a little extra.

I basically need:

15.6 inch-17 inch screen - preferrably a 17 inch but if its much more expensive than a 15.6 inch is fine

Microsoft Office Student Home and I want the laptop to work quickly and have plenty of memory because every time I buy a laptop it seems like a year later, it is really slow and I am told you need more memory.

Gaming is a non-factor

A couple of questions:

1) Is 500 GB of memory that much superior to 250 GB to warrant the extra money or for my purposes should it not matter?

2) I was recommended by one of the main laptop websites to use the Intel i-5 processor although it seems that most of the laptops are equipped with the i-3? is there a noticeable difference here?

Some recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

WOW 500gig of memory is awesome.

The extra 250gig of hard drive space is worth it if you download, play games, etc

As far as the cpu, unless you are doing intensive stuff, like audio/video editing, CAD, etc not really.

I just bought my wife an Acer with 17.3 inch, AMD dual core, 4 gigs of ram, and 300 gig drive for $498

i3 is just a little bit lower than an i5. It depends what you are doing in school. 4GIG of ram is a norm. Extra HDD space is a nice feature to have, you can save a lot of data on it. I would recommend getting it from Newegg.com, ASUS and Toshiba are my two top brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom