Need help with my desktops memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40water

Baseband Member
I'll give an update, Ive got a AMD dual core 64, Ive been having a problem with error Memory dump shut down issue. So I removed one of my memory ram sticks to see if the problem kept having that issue. The issue stopped. I am running Mushkin Em2-6400 (2x2gb) Ram 5-5-5-12. I am wanting to get another stick of memory, I seem to be having trouble finding 5-5-5-12 Ram?. Does anyone know whats the Replacement # for this type of Ram. And I was told mixing different brand names with others isn't a good idea?.

Thanks your'e help.

At DDR2 800 (or pc2 6400, whatever you want to call it) 5-5-5-12 is no longer considered a good timing. The most recent DDR2 memory was running DDR2 1200 @ 5-5-5-15 1.8v, which is roughly DDR2 800 3-4-4-8 @ 1.8v.

Whoever told you not to mix brands and memory types is correct. This is a bad idea because different brands/speeds don't like to work together.

That being said, what are you using this machine for? If you can elaborate as to what you use the machine for I can recommend some good memory.

I am currently running Mushkin Em2-6400 (2gb) Ram 5-5-5-12. I would like to add new replacement Ram. Possibly 4 gb instead of running my 2 gb of Ram.

Replacing with OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit.

Thanks for youre advice.

If I were you I'd opt for the Crucial 2x2gb 4-4-4-12 kit.
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA80A

The timings are better. It's more overclockable. It's less expensive, and it has free shipping.

Timings mean a lot with memory. DDR2 800 5-5-5-18 is not very good. The kit you chose to replace your current kit only has the advantage of capacity. This will help, but not as much as you think. You won't notice any increase in FPS at all. In fact you might notice a drop in FPS in games, and generally slower performance.

However, the kit that I recommended will increase performance, overclockability, and general responsiveness. Not only this but it will save you a few dollars, and it's still 4gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom